The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Cylinder head removal and a heads up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcomsnow245

10+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2011
chicago, Illinois
I just want to start by saying when you buy your Dsm pleasseeee replace the timing belt I'm in the process of replacing bent valves. I have a few questions first can I leave the oil in? And second what's the best way to get all the anti freeze out? Thanks and you've been warned!

I usually pull the lower radiator hose to remove most of the coolant. As far as the oil goes you need to change it after you get the car back together there will be some coolant in the oil and vise versa. Plus you will get trash from the head gasket in there as well.

There is a drain on the rad on the drivers side.

And ya, change the oil. Cheapest maintanence there is.

Definitely change the oil, there will be debris in it from scraping the old head gasket off. Also to get all the coolant out of the block you would have to pull the water pump. You won't need to remove all the coolant though. When you drain the radiator it will put the level below the surface of the deck.

I just want to start by saying when you buy your Dsm pleasseeee replace the timing belt I'm in the process of replacing bent valves. I have a few questions first can I leave the oil in? And second what's the best way to get all the anti freeze out? Thanks and you've been warned!

You would have been warned yourself if you would have done as you were instructed when you first joined the site and read the newbie section stickies...

Maint is ALWAYS #1 on that list with the timing belt being at the very top of that. Guess some lessons are learned the hard way but I suppose you can do some upgrading while you're in there.:thumb:

I did all the maintainance I was told the timing belt wasn't old.. Anyway thanks guys for the tips I'll be sure to change all the fluids just incase.

How bad did the valves bend?

Are you rebulding the head? getting a reman? or a used head?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back