The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Crazy vaccuum issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleenf4i

Proven Member
Oct 30, 2012
tampa, Florida
95 Gst.
Ok so today I went to clean up the vaccuum lines. I was doing this by following diagrams. Apparently the previous owner used to have a manual boost controller but took it out. He also deleted alot of the solonoids, which are not needed with the m.b.c.

So now when I got done with re routing the vaccuum lines, it horriably boost.it takes until about 6k to hit 10 psi. it used to hit 12psi at about 4500 rpm.

SO here how I ran the vaccuum lines
for the greddy type s bov: top port vaccuum is ran directly to the intake manifold. the bottom port is ran to a port on the top of the intake next to the throttlebody(where theres 3 ports)

the actuator wategate vaccuum hose of the 16g: is ran on a port going into the intercooler charge side about a foot away from the turbo j-pipe.

is there something im missing here? i know theres nothing wrong with boost leaks or such as those things.

any help is appreciated. I couldnt find a diagram that fit my set-up.

Ive always heard to route the line from the j pipe to the wastegate the shortest way possible. The tabboo diagrams are over a decade old and some change from that might be good, worked for my 1g.

I believe if there no leaks then try looking around the wastegate area. Also does the greddy type s have the 3 ports? I also have the bottom port opened, not the recirculated one.

the wastegate vacuum line is close as it can get to the turbo about a foot away from the turbo on an intercooler pipe.

it has two vacuum lines on the bov. one up top which is the main one, then one below it( which is used to help the bov plunger quicker)

The bottom one is the one i dont have connected and i really never tried connecting it anywhere as nothing is wrong with it.

Try looking at the vaccum lines and see if you didnt get them confused.

If there was no mbc as of now, what do you use to control boost, and how were they setup when you got it?

he had it set up with a check valved non adjustable "T" that connected where a m.b.c. would normally go. the vacuum for it was from the bottom port of the bo.v. , to the wastegate and it pulled vacuum from the intake manifold.

I have nothing to be able to control the boost except for the set boost level its at for now.

ok i will and here is how I now have it set up for vacuum:
top port of bov straight to intake manifold.
got rid of the bottom port bov hose.
all 3 vacuum nipples behind the throttle body are capped.
the wastegate vacuum hose is running right after the j-pipe, on a intercooler pipe nipple.
ill go check for boost leaks. ill report back

Any exhaust leaks? How long does your system hold pressure, and what pressure did you test to?

16psi and its holding well for 5 minutes

the thing is i think this whole thing is linked to that check valve "T" everything was fine until i pulled that T off

yeah its an ebay one, its actuall a borg-werner. I did not know the difference when I bought the car, just made sure it wasnt a china turbo. Yes it has an adjustable wastegate....
I went and adjusted that also. heres how:
if looking at the turbo with the inlet to the left, I pulled the flapper are all the way to the left. Then adjusted the rod until it slipped over tightly without having to pull on the actuator arm. Then i went 3 more turns putting a pre load on the actuator and pulled the arm into place, attaching it to the flapper peg.

LOL. well i cant put it back on because when i took it off, i noticed it wasnt a regular T so i took it apart, and the the little ball bearing in the check valve went flying. Hers my question. How I have vacuum hooked up, shouldnt it be just fine?

if you look at the blue T, thats what was removed. the controller was no longer on the vacuum system

Yea it should work the way you put it. Try putting in a mbc man, maybe thats the cause? Because it doesnt have the factory boost solenoid. But should it just go all out on boost with no contoller.

I wouldnt think so. From what i know, if there is no vacuum/boost line to the wastegate, it will just forever boost. and its not doing that either. it takes forever to boost and its more like all motor at this point.

Attachments

• controller pic.jpg
    controller pic.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 199
yeah im lost also... because now instead of that blue T the waste gate is simply using boost from the intercooler pipe.

really, all i did was clean up unnecessary vacuum hoses. I have no idea why its not boosting.

Yea... I'm with Spank-a-skank (you are El Paso... and I've seen the women down there...:tease: ...they are the same one's that are here!!) Something doesn't sound right. Are you hearing any noise other than a nice even whistle as it spools up??

yeah it blows off and all , just very softly, and it takes forever to spool. it almost seems the compressor in the turbo is not spinning correctly. Im going to go take the housing apart and see if the shaft nut may have come loose. If so it will be purely coincidence I was doing the vacuum hoses at the same time that happened. ill report back also , no smoke havnt checked shaft play yet.

have you checked the condition of the turbo.
any shaft play, or smoke?

try and set up up as the link shows but of course use the intercooler pipe nipple instead of the j pipe one.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/francoswc/mbc.jpg

Again, there is no boost controller in the car.

So you're saying you hooked the boost source directly to the wastegate, and now it only boosts to 10 psi?

the boost source for the internal wastegate is hooked to a charge pipe right after the j-pipe,going to the intercooler. now it will only boost to 10 psi and it doesnt hit boost until about 5k, even then it never "kicks" like it used to.

also there is 0 shaftplay and the turbo is turning over just fine

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back