1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Speedometer went crazy!

Posted by BLACK'98DSM, Nov 21, 2019

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    So 2 days ago my speedometer decided to say I was going 170mph when I was actually going like 60. It has always been slightly ahead too. I read through some old posts about similar issues, but no one had a clear answer.

Thoughts?

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

390  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

297  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  2. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    The only time I had my speedo going crazy was when my alternator wasn't working at all and all the electrical systems were running off the battery and draining it. At one point from jumping like crazy, the speedo needle just went to 0 and shortly after I lost all power.

So all I can suggest is checking your alternator and the wires from it, if it's charging properly etc. After that I would give your speed sensor on the trans a visual check. A friend of mine once had a similar issue, actually. He had a 420a Eclipse and had to change trans, so he swapped it with a trans from a PT Cruiser but the speed sensor was different so it was reading really high speeds because the ratios were off. But if you haven't swapped trans or sensor that shouldn't be your case.

Street Build 3K  9

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.769 @ 92.22 · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  3. my98gsx

my98gsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 14, 2005
    Wappingers, New York
    We had this happen to my friends 97. It was bouncing like crazy... We recently did some engine bay work and forgot to re-install a ground wire. Once re-attached the gauge worked fine. If you have been working under the hood check your grounds.

Street Build 602  11

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    563 whp · 422 lb/ft · 2G DSM

711  4

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.091 @ 114.490 · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM and Mello like this.