The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Complete loss of oil pressure??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmxunderground

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2007
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I guess when it rains it pours... in addition to the post I have active my 95, I now have an issue with my built 96.

I got in my car as I do everyday. Started it up. Let it warm up, which I do EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive it. Oil pressure was at 55 cold then 30 when warm via Autometer electric gauge (at idle). I drove about 200 ft and my pressure slowly and steadily dropped from 55 to 5.

My first thought, bad aftermarket sensor. THEN an additional 100ft later 5 psi to 0 and the idiot light came on as well. My current thought "oh crap" I babied the car at a 1k idle back around the block where it stayed parked. (until the rollback came)

not much 420a info on here to filter through. Do these symptoms match anyone's recent failures? Please let me know. The engine's been out of the car 3 times in the last 2 months... looks like its coming again.

- Oil level fine/ clean
- NO leaks externally
- NO oil in coolant
- turbo leaking slightly (but refer to item one)

take the oil feed line off the turbo and fire it up for a sec. that should tell you somethin. oil filters good? sure youve tried this but throwin out a couple ideas. good luck

actually haven't tried anything yet. Just got finished with some other projects for the day and about to start in on her. We'll see what the news is by morning.

Sounds like clogged oil passage. Don't pull your engine. Pull your T-fitting where you have your stock oil pressure sensor and check to see if anything is clogging it up. You may need a good mirror and LED light.

pulled the feed line from the turbo and started the engine. Definitely no pressure.

As far as a clog, what could clog the entire pickup with a fresh oil change that just happened in the last not even 500 miles. If you can see my other tech posts I've only just had it running a few weeks.

I may just be wasting breath asking that since I'm taking off the oil pan tomorrow but really I would be amazed to find a clog.

pulled the feed line from the turbo and started the engine. Definitely no pressure..................I may just be wasting breath asking that since I'm taking off the oil pan tomorrow but really I would be amazed to find a clog.
Geez Loiuse :ohdamn:

Sorry to hear, my man. Without the obvious signs of a huge puddle in the middle of the driveway or a James Bond smoke screen out of the exhaust, you are following the same path as I would.

Did you put an aftermarket oil pump on there? Melling maybe? I strongly advise not using an aftermarket pump. I have seen failures and they can be catastophic (yes, even Melling). I go so far as to choose to buy a very low mileage oil pump over a brand new oil pump. That way it is tested, LOL.

On the bright side, you at least saw it happening, as opposed to finding it out when your engine seized.

As for your "other" problem, I also am leaning toward the ECU (provided, as you say, wires are checked thoroughly. The hazards of owning a 95 :banghead:). Because of it being an intermitten problem, testing her does not always reveal the problem.

BUT because you get an inkling of results on the wire wiggle (yeah, could have been coincidence), I would at least look closer at the connector and check another coil. Our ECU's are basically diagnosed by attrition. Eliminate all other possibilities first.

MB

Found the culprit. After taking off the oilpan I discovered a gap between the oil pickup and the block. Took the pickup off, cleaned it, installed a new rubber oring seal and reinstalled everything.

Oil pressure is back. Problem solved. :hellyeah:

Oil PSI reading 50+

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back