The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenleyX

Proven Member
Jun 3, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I have a ACT sport/street sprung clutch i just installed and while the clutch seems to engage fine and it works fine...

when i press the clutch pedal i get a kind mild rattle/dragging/scraping noise...

No matter how much I adjust the pedal adjustment screw, it does not change...

Any ideas??

OP;

What exactly did you replace?
  • Was the flywheel surfaced or replaced?
  • Did you need to shim the pivot ball for the clutch fork?

Have you inspected the position of the clutch fork like shown below?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It sounds as if you have used the Jacks Transmission tutorial for clutch adjustment. If not, you may want to check it out. There is also a pivot ball shim tutorial as well.

Here are some sites you may find useful:

I didn't do anything special with the clutch or any shims.

Just pulled the old one and slapped this one in.

I was warned against shims though...

The clutch works fine, engages fine...

Did you replace the throwout bearing? Although I think the noise would be the opposite of whats happening to you?

The flywheel was not resurfaced, could this be noise of a new clutch on a old flywheel?

So, that makes two questions answered. I assume you have not checked whether or not you need to shim the pivot ball then. Next up is the question about your fork position. It really is more helpful to get help by checking all of the suggestions/questions, then report back.

So far, you have only replaced just the clutch disk?
Does this include the pressure plate?
Does this include the TOB as well?

You have done nothing other than adjusting the master cylinder correct?

There is an error somewhere in your install as the noise you describe does not constitute the correct operation of the clutch.

Last edited:
The ACT clutch comes with clutch, pressure plate and new throwout bearing.
all of that was installed.

Left in the car was old clutch fork and old flywheel. Neither were modified.

I have read the shim article, I see no reason to shim the clutch fork or pivot ball. The car shifts fine, engages fine, stays in gear fine.

The clutch works perfectly. So does the clutch pedal also work perfectly.

The only oddity here is the mild scraping noise the car makes when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

The noise goes away when the car is in or out of gear.

The noise is only when the pedal is pressed, no matter how much or little you press it.

As 2gmitsueclipse said sounds like a disengagement problem. Its possible the clutch is dragging very slight or you have a defective throw out bearing even though the noise is backwards. (Usually gets quiet pressing in clutch). Deff need to check fork position and master/slave cylinder for leaks under the boots.

The ACT clutch comes with clutch, pressure plate and new throwout bearing.
all of that was installed.

Left in the car was old clutch fork and old flywheel. Neither were modified.

I have read the shim article, I see no reason to shim the clutch fork or pivot ball. The car shifts fine, engages fine, stays in gear fine.

The clutch works perfectly. So does the clutch pedal also work perfectly.

The only oddity here is the mild scraping noise the car makes when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

The noise goes away when the car is in or out of gear.

The noise is only when the pedal is pressed, no matter how much or little you press it.

Our ideas of what constitutes a clutch job seem to vary a bit. Because of this, I cannot make an assumption that you installed a clutch disk, pressure plate, and TOB. You have only stated the clutch, which could just mean the disk. I have to ask because you have not stated as such. If you feel fine with the way things are, I see no reason to continue this. You have asked for information, and have received it. Take my responses how you want, but I was merely asking to help you narrow down your issue. But it now seems you do not have one.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back