The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Clutch Masters FX300/350 long term durability

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonecollector

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2011
Flagstaff, Arizona
First question:
Does anyone know if there is a difference in clamping force between the FX300 and the FX350? (this is probably going to be a question for CM sales rep.) but i figured i'd ask here anyways.
Second question:
For those of you using either of those clutches, how has the clutch disk held up? I'm mostly concerned with the material quality of the metal parts / design more so than the friction surface.

Reason I'm asking is because in the past i've broken an ACT street disk around the spring area (pretty common) failure point. the clutch had a good amount of mileage put on it, so it was probably just it's time to go.
I've also broken a Competition Clutch stage 3 disk, I bent the shit out of the (bronze looking) metal plate that holds the friction pads almost immediately after break in.

Any input would be helpful,
Thank you.​

First question:
Does anyone know if there is a difference in clamping force between the FX300 and the FX350? (this is probably going to be a question for CM sales rep.) but i figured i'd ask here anyways.
Second question:
For those of you using either of those clutches, how has the clutch disk held up? I'm mostly concerned with the material quality of the metal parts / design more so than the friction surface.

Reason I'm asking is because in the past i've broken an ACT street disk around the spring area (pretty common) failure point. the clutch had a good amount of mileage put on it, so it was probably just it's time to go.
I've also broken a Competition Clutch stage 3 disk, I bent the shit out of the (bronze looking) metal plate that holds the friction pads almost immediately after break in.

Any input would be helpful,
Thank you.​

How much power are you making ....? Sounds like your launching the car hard. If you are, have you considered going to a twin disk? Or a multi disk setup. If I went back to Manual this is the first thing I’d do. I have no experience with fx series clutch, I’ve only used the act 2600/2900 . The car was making 600whp and I wasn’t Havent issues with either. They shift like shit at high rpm.... that’s about it

I have used cm fx400 for years with a 4-puck unsprung disk. Never had any issues. I’ve used one on my gsx and my gst. Held power no problem. No hot spots. A little chattery but never killed a transmission, Using them. I kno your referring to the 300/350 line. Just my .02 on the quality and reliability of the clutch

In my gsx I drove it daily 50mi round trip. I also took it to the track occasionally, but mainly car was daily driven. Lasted me roughly 3 Years before I had to replace it. If that helps

sounds like installer error. dont let the trans hang on the input shaft.[/QUOTE

I suppose one could assume that by just reading my poorly worded description of the damage, so ill attach a photo below.

As for installation, I actually use an engine hoist with a custom made bracket mounted to the transmission and lift it up from the bottom when i install transmissions on these cars.
This way i can line up everything 100% perfectly, you don't have to take a ride on the struggle bus trying to manipulate the transmission into place and it also eliminates the possibility of any excessive weight resting on the input shaft.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
How much power are you making ....? Sounds like your launching the car hard. If you are, have you considered going to a twin disk? Or a multi disk setup. If I went back to Manual this is the first thing I’d do. I have no experience with fx series clutch, I’ve only used the act 2600/2900 . The car was making 600whp and I wasn’t Havent issues with either. They shift like shit at high rpm.... that’s about it

I ran those clutches on my TSI, that car was making close to 450ish 375TQ (the TQ is just a guesstimate) it's been awhile since i've owned that car... but it wasn't an extreme amount of power.
i ran really good tires and it was a real awd car (with lsd's in the front and rear). so it rarely spun the tires from a launch.

I launched that ACT probably 100 times and the Comp Clutch maybe a handful times.
Competition clutch was really good on the warranty and sent me a new one. I installed that one went through break in (again), and ended up rounding off third gear in the trans... so, i just sold the clutch and left it at that.
The comp clutch had an obvious design flaw, i say "had" because i believe (or hope) they've fixed by doubling up the rivets.

I plan on using the Clutch Masters FX series in my Galant which will probably end up being around the same 450/500 HP range to start with.

Clutch Masters makes a "High Rev" pressure plate which is what i would get.

IDK what happend to that disc. All I can say is I've ran nothing but ACT discs for the last 10 years, and had great luck. My only complaint is they wear fast, but that's the price you pay for holding good power with minimal clamp load.

discs like the one in the picture are garbage. Huge heavy non torque holding junk. Get an ACT 4 puck in there and move on.

I litterally have a 12yr old XTD stage 4 pp and an ACT 6 puck solid in my car at over 700whp and with a dogbox. And I finally slipped it when I had over 40psi on a 1-2 shift. No need for these f***clobberin clutches. Ceramic, dual friction, kevlar, blah blah blah, it's all a gimick.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back