1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420A Clutch Kit

Posted by ernickason, Jan 9, 2013

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. ernickason

ernickason Probationary Member

Joined Jan 9, 2013
    Mckinney, Texas

I have a 96' Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5 speed. I don't know to much about cars, I'm slowly learning as I work on this one. My throw out bearing is going out and I was told if i was going to replace it i should replace my clutch disc and pressure plate since I'm going to replace my throw out bearing. I decided to get a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch kit and an aftermarket flywheel while I'm at it. Please if anyone can help me decide on what i should do and what i should get, i would really appreciate the help. :thumb:

2. mcrae_06

mcrae_06 Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2008
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    'Stages' aren't specific/descriptive at all, (it's useless Honduh lingo); it's mostly ebay junk thrown in a box with flames on it. "Thinking of getting a stage 17 clutch" means nothing to someone trying to give advice about a part, whereas "I have a 96 GS and was hoping to get some advice on whether to buy the ACT street disk w/ a 2100lb pressure plate, or just replace everything with OEM parts" lets the people that you're asking know exactly what part you are describing.
    Since your car is a GS I doubt it has much more power than it came from the factory with; it has no need for anything stronger than the factory clutch. I would just throw a new OEM clutch disk in it, new throw out bearing, have the flywheel resurfaced, and call it a day. Make sure to bleed everything properly, use new DOT-3 brake fluid, and inspect any related parts for wear or damage while you're at it.

There is a wealth of information on these forums, you just have to look around to find it.
    I did a quick search on the N/T (non-turbo) forums and came across this thread. The original poster asked a very similar question, and several members posted hyperlinks of places to find clutches, and their thoughts on the matter as well. The search portion of the site will have tons of info, just make sure you're reading the applicable N/T threads.

Hope this helps.

3. ernickason

ernickason Probationary Member

Joined Jan 9, 2013
    Mckinney, Texas
    Thank you for the help. As i searched i began to think that "stages" didnt really mean anything but like i said before, i dont know much so im learning with this car as i go. This is.my firat time ever being a part of a foeum so im still learning alittle but thanks for the advice.

4. mcrae_06

mcrae_06 Proven Member

Joined Feb 7, 2008
    Rapid City, South Dakota
  5. boostkrazy26

boostkrazy26 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 1, 2013
    Las Vegas, New Mexico
    if you want to get a good all around clutch i would suggest a centerforce dual friction clutch. i have one on my turbo setup and i have been pretty satisfied with the performance. i hope this helps you out.

140  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    · 2G DSM
  6. lee98talon

lee98talon Proven Member

Joined Sep 16, 2012
    Green Bay, Wisconsin

Street Build 1K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. xv_dsm

xv_dsm Probationary Member

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    North Charleston, South Carolina
    So I have a 95 gst 5 speed, should I go at it the same way?

Street Build 171  2

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM