The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Clutch Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernickason

Probationary Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mckinney, Texas
I have a 96' Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5 speed. I don't know to much about cars, I'm slowly learning as I work on this one. My throw out bearing is going out and I was told if i was going to replace it i should replace my clutch disc and pressure plate since I'm going to replace my throw out bearing. I decided to get a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch kit and an aftermarket flywheel while I'm at it. Please if anyone can help me decide on what i should do and what i should get, i would really appreciate the help. :thumb:

'Stages' aren't specific/descriptive at all, (it's useless Honduh lingo); it's mostly ebay junk thrown in a box with flames on it. "Thinking of getting a stage 17 clutch" means nothing to someone trying to give advice about a part, whereas "I have a 96 GS and was hoping to get some advice on whether to buy the ACT street disk w/ a 2100lb pressure plate, or just replace everything with OEM parts" lets the people that you're asking know exactly what part you are describing.
Since your car is a GS I doubt it has much more power than it came from the factory with; it has no need for anything stronger than the factory clutch. I would just throw a new OEM clutch disk in it, new throw out bearing, have the flywheel resurfaced, and call it a day. Make sure to bleed everything properly, use new DOT-3 brake fluid, and inspect any related parts for wear or damage while you're at it.

There is a wealth of information on these forums, you just have to look around to find it.
I did a quick search on the N/T (non-turbo) forums and came across this thread. The original poster asked a very similar question, and several members posted hyperlinks of places to find clutches, and their thoughts on the matter as well. The search portion of the site will have tons of info, just make sure you're reading the applicable N/T threads.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the help. As i searched i began to think that "stages" didnt really mean anything but like i said before, i dont know much so im learning with this car as i go. This is.my firat time ever being a part of a foeum so im still learning alittle but thanks for the advice.

if you want to get a good all around clutch i would suggest a centerforce dual friction clutch. i have one on my turbo setup and i have been pretty satisfied with the performance. i hope this helps you out.

'Stages' aren't specific/descriptive at all, (it's useless Honduh lingo); it's mostly ebay junk thrown in a box with flames on it. "Thinking of getting a stage 17 clutch" means nothing to someone trying to give advice about a part, whereas "I have a 96 GS and was hoping to get some advice on whether to buy the ACT street disk w/ a 2100lb pressure plate, or just replace everything with OEM parts" lets the people that you're asking know exactly what part you are describing.
Since your car is a GS I doubt it has much more power than it came from the factory with; it has no need for anything stronger than the factory clutch. I would just throw a new OEM clutch disk in it, new throw out bearing, have the flywheel resurfaced, and call it a day. Make sure to bleed everything properly, use new DOT-3 brake fluid, and inspect any related parts for wear or damage while you're at it.

There is a wealth of information on these forums, you just have to look around to find it.
I did a quick search on the N/T (non-turbo) forums and came across this thread. The original poster asked a very similar question, and several members posted hyperlinks of places to find clutches, and their thoughts on the matter as well. The search portion of the site will have tons of info, just make sure you're reading the applicable N/T threads.

Hope this helps.

So I have a 95 gst 5 speed, should I go at it the same way?

So I have a 95 gst 5 speed, should I go at it the same way?
What exactly are you asking about? Using the stock clutch you mean? A stock replacement clutch should be fin for you as long as you aren't pushing much more than stock hp. I don't see much on your profile, but it looks your building it fresh. So that means you probably don't have many mods. Stock replacement clutch is fine. And it looks like the O.P was asking about a GS, not a GST. I hope this helped.

EDIT: Sorry, I see now that it has been a few months. But I still hope that I helped :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back