The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Clutch issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBDdsmer610

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2006
easton, Pennsylvania
Ok guys so I have been having some issues with my clutch I have an ACT 2600 with a 6 puck unsprung plate and an ACT street lite flywheel....a few months ago out of no where my clutch got soft all of a sudden I replaced my Slave and master and bled it properly...and my clutch has been soft for a while now out of no where yesterday my pedal got hard again....when I was sitting in a parking lot I pumped my clutch prolly about 15 times really fast and then it got soft again like it was before and it has a little big of an engaugment issue...I'm just really wondering if it could be my pedal assembly that is causing my issues. I tried doing the test on the pedal when you push it down all the way then try to pull up on it and it didn't come up anymore but could my assembly still be bad and causing these issues with my pedal being soft then hard at times and cause it to not engage right???

It sounds like you have air in the lines still. Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you put it on? Also try opening the bleeder screw and pushing in the slave cylinder rod with your thumb then closing it while you hold it in. There is sometimes an air pocket that can sit in there. Vacuum bleeding is another option. Make sure that your clutch pedal is also properly adjusted.

I would inspect the clutch master cylinder and the line going to resevoir. Make sure all your fittings are screwed in good and bleeder valve too. Look for fluid anywhere. I just installed new slave 2 days ago on mine. Put a vac hose on bleeder valve then end of hose in a half full brake fluid bottle. Tnen bleed the crap out of it. Works great, keeps air out.

I did bench bleed my master guys and there's is deff no air in my system I know my throw out bearing has some issues as it always made noise a few months back when my clutch did get soft all of a sudden I was almost thinking the center section of my throw out bearing collapsed and in turn it was not pressing on the actual tips of the fingers on the pressure plate where all the pressure actually would be and only the outside of the bearing was pressing on the pressure plate not pressing on the tips and I think that may be the cause of my light feeling pedal but I guess I won't kno till I get it all apart again but I have no garage to do it in I live in the city so all I have is a busy street to work on....I'm just really curious to as why my pedal was soft for a while then got hard again and now soft again it keeps flip flopping on me so I'll have to get it apart sometime soon and see what's up b/c I don't think it is an issue with my hydraulic system at all...and I kno for sure my TOB is pretty much shot I have a new OEM one to put in but I'm not just gonna pull it apart to put the bearing in I might as well put a clutch in while I'm at it and I was just gonna go with one of those XTD stage 3 clutch with the 6 puck disk I kno a bunch of people on here swear by them and they work well supposivly...

To each their own, but I had one of those fail on me within like 50 miles. In my opinion the money you save isn't worth the risk in labor time to have to replace it if it fails on you. I have a Fidanza 6 puck that probably has about 20 or more 5.5k launches on it and about 10k street miles. It still grabs hard off the line every time.

As far as your issues go, it would have been nice to know about the throw out bearing issue in the original post. It is very possible that is your issue. I know sometimes you may think you are positive that you have all the air out, but that is not always the case. The clutches on these cars are notorious for being hard to bleed and hiding air pockets. Replace the throw out bearing (With an OEM one) since you know its bad and see if that fixes your issue.

I understand what you are saying about the XTD clutches, I have just seen a bunch of ppl that had great results with them as long as the 6 puck unsprung disk was used....as for the air I'll triple check it again....I really wish I had a vacuum bleeder then I wouldn't have to worry about any air or air pockets in my system but like I said I will triple check it again and see what happens...and as soon as I can find a place to do my clutch I'll get a new one in and the new OEM bearing I have sitting on my shelf...and I'm also waiting to hear back from ACT, because I've had an issue with a streetlite flywheel making a zipper sounding noise only when I start the car and it's done it in all 3 cars I've had the flywheel in and I tried multiple diff starters and tried removing the starter plate and also using one and the sound still exist...so we will see what happens but thanks for the input guys I'll...I'll close this thread up before midnight!!!!...thanks again!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back