The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Clear Taillight Refurbish

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffwithaG

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2017
Flemington, New_Jersey
I picked up a set up clear taillights for my 2g GSX. I think they look great (I know its a matter of preference) and had been looking for a set for a while. The ones I have need a little love, especially the center section. I figured I would start a thread as I go through this process incase someone needs it in the future.

I popped the cover off the center section, super delicately. There isnt any glue or adhesive, just 5 tabs across the top, 6 tabs across the bottom and 1 per each side. Luckily, nothing cracked and no tabs broke! The lense cleans up fine, but the housing needs some love. Its plastic, and the chrome finish is deteriorated and looks terrible given the clear lense.

I figured I should just spray paint the inside of the housing, but I want it to be a nice chrome finish, not silver. I know there are chrome spray paints and brush on chrome. Does anyone have any experience with either, or a brand/product preference? I really want to do this once, the right way, and be done with it.

Also, if anyone needs any specific pictures of anything, let me know. I might be taking apart one of the taillights because it has a bunch of dead bugs in it. Looking at its construction makes me nervous because it is way more complex, tons more tabs and something will probably break. If I can find a way to get the bugs out without dismantling it, I will go that route. The housings on both taillights look fine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

tape a small rubber hose to a shop vac and stick it in through the bulb hole to get the bugs out.

the chrome spray paint sucks. even the chrome automotive grade paint you have to mix and spray through a gun is not very chrome. Eastwood makes a spray paint for the inside of lights that isn't terrible. but you will need to do them all if you want them to match.

The tail lights can be a bear to open up. I have done it 3 times now attempting various LED configurations. Using the oven at 275-300F for about 6-8 minutes seems to work well for loosening the glue. Heat gun takes too long, but if you're as gentle as you were with the center tail you should be fine.

I have used both duplicolor chrome and metal cast on other vehicles to much avail it's a product I would recommend. I am not sure if SEM makes a chrome paint but they would also be worth checking out

You could also spray the lenses with another coat of UV protecting clear coat while you're at it really make those babies look brand new there are quite a few "headlight restoration videos" on how to do it. I would recommend AMMO NYC he is by far the most thorough.

Edit: Zedicus' idea about the bugs is much less risky and sounds ideal!

tape a small rubber hose to a shop vac and stick it in through the bulb hole to get the bugs out.

the chrome spray paint sucks. even the chrome automotive grade paint you have to mix and spray through a gun is not very chrome. Eastwood makes a spray paint for the inside of lights that isn't terrible. but you will need to do them all if you want them to match.

The bugs are way over in the corner part where there isn't access through the bulb hole. But I will definitely use that suggestion for the main part of the housing. EDIT - there is a small hole is the upper left corner of the far right side of the taillight. I was able to get the vacuum in there and in tandem with some air duster, all the bugs are gone!

I think I'm just being neurotic about the center section. I'm not going to light it up or anything, so the chrome paint doesnt need to be amazing.

Last edited:
The tail lights can be a bear to open up. I have done it 3 times now attempting various LED configurations. Using the oven at 275-300F for about 6-8 minutes seems to work well for loosening the glue. Heat gun takes too long, but if you're as gentle as you were with the center tail you should be fine.

I have used both duplicolor chrome and metal cast on other vehicles to much avail it's a product I would recommend. I am not sure if SEM makes a chrome paint but they would also be worth checking out

You could also spray the lenses with another coat of UV protecting clear coat while you're at it really make those babies look brand new there are quite a few "headlight restoration videos" on how to do it. I would recommend AMMO NYC he is by far the most thorough.

Edit: Zedicus' idea about the bugs is much less risky and sounds ideal!

I watched a few videos about opening up the taillights. I agree, seems like a major PITA. I'm going to try everything I can to clean out the bugs. There is a little air hole (not sure the technical name) in the corner, like the size of pencil lead. I blasted some air duster in there and that helped out. Basically turned the dried out bugs to dust LOL

Yes, go ahead and paint the inside of the center section. That is what's on there now. We used Krylon Chrome paint and it did very well, as you can see in the pictures of our center section lighting write up.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-light-center-tail-section-for-75.507507/#post-153618468

To put the unit back together, run a bead of clear silicone across the top, and snap the tabs into place. The silicone will keep it from rattling, and the open bottom edge will allow any water to drain out.

To us, the blank lens was a little too empty, so we went with the Mitsu logo to match the front bumper.

Got the center painted and everything installed. Came out nice, just waiting for bulbs and I should be set. Now the reverse light lenses look really yellowed, maybe I will try to polish those up. I can't find any OEM replacements

Please excuse all the clutter in the background

Got the center painted and everything installed. Came out nice, just waiting for bulbs and I should be set. Now the reverse light lenses look really yellowed, maybe I will try to polish those up. I can't find any OEM replacements

Please excuse all the clutter in the background
You got me i like the clear set up now too

You got me i like the clear set up now too

I originally saw them on a vehicle profile for Jus Whitesells GSX that's the same color, and they looked great. Been looking for a set for about a year. I'm keeping all the stock parts as I swap stuff out, so I figured worst case I could sell them if need be

Have you ever installed brake lights in the center piece? I kind of want to I think it would look really neat night cruising.

I personally have not. I have read several threads about illuminating the center piece with LED's, which look pretty neat. But they are more of a running light, I don't believe they were wired to be brighter when braking.

What did you do about the red brake lights? Or is it legal to have clear brake lights?

The housings are technically DOT approved, but I believe you are supposed to have red reflectors in the lense. I have ordered red glass bulbs for them. They came with LEDs as well that are clear when not illuminated and red when illuminated but a couple of them no longer worked

Edit: I drive my GSX like 3k miles a year, so I will risk it.

Yeah most cops wont bother. I smoked out my rear lights in my old neon and got pulled over twice a week but it was because they thought i didn't have rear lights at all LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back