The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

cleaned intercooler now smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoolN

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2003
Coventry, Rhode_Island
I cleaned my intercooler with rubbing alchahol and i let it dry now there is white smoke coming out of my exhuast when after i get into boost on out, what could this be,.

clean it again with gasoline until the gasoline comes out clear. then try it and see what happens.

its a good possibility. when u clean it with gasoline...fill it up completely and cap the end tanks off and shake the shit out of it..keep refilling it with fresh gas until it comes out all clear and you should be good.

I cleaned mine out with rubbing alcohol, took a LOT of it but it eventually came out clean. I didnt have any smoking problems afterwards though...

yea for some reason my car will only smoke when i have been in boost.

Well for the intercooler never being cleaned since 95 there was not a shit load but there was some. I washed it out about 4 times then it was clear, oil seals being shot, that would mean i would need a new turbo correct, I mean this turbo isnt even 3 months old, its the evo 16g I would hate to see it being ####ed up already.

Also the smoke doesnt come out when im in boost it is right after i let off, it starts smoking and it is really annoying, its a white color smells like pure gas pretty much, I know my car runs rich but never this bad. Is there any other tests I could do to see if is the seals in the turbo.

Originally posted by SpoolN
Is there anyway to tell?

Take the intake off of the turbo and check for oil inside of the turbo. I highly doubt that is your problem though if it only has 3 months on it. Did you do a compression test? The rings may be worn?? Good luck!

Yea compression test was done like 3 months ago to and everything was fine, What should the compression be though I might do it again my self, I have a new engine in it the jasper engine and it is about 3000 miles old. When u say the seals could be worn do u mean in the turbo.

Yea compression test was done like 3 months ago to and everything was fine, What should the compression be though I might do it again my self, I have a new engine in it the jasper engine and it is about 3000 miles old. When u say the seals could be worn do u mean in the turbo.

I said the rings not the seals. :) As in the piston rings. A new engine in the the jasper engine? I'm nost sure what this means. As far as how to do a compression test and what your readings should look like check www.vfaq.com. But if its a rebuilt motor and has aftermarket (different compression pistons) it should most likely not match up to the chart. Anything below 120 is bad though. Any large difference from cyl to cyl is also bad.

k, could it just be the excess shit blowing out
No. And you don't need to "air dry" a washed intercooler. The engine is going to suck through so much air, and the compressor is putting it out at a high enough temperature that you'll be dry in there within three miles.

I doubt the smoking is related to your IC cleaning. More likely the car noticed you were working on one part, and now all the others are jealous.

Also the smoke doesnt come out when im in boost it is right after i let off, it starts smoking and it is really annoying, its a white color smells like pure gas pretty much, I know my car runs rich but never this bad. Is there any other tests I could do to see if is the seals in the turbo.

are u sure they didnt throw a rotary motor in your car. hahha.

I meant the engine is new, it is a jasper engine that i put in the car it is only like 3000 miles old.

Originally posted by mark95turbo
Take the intake off of the turbo and check for oil inside of the turbo. I highly doubt that is your problem though if it only has 3 months on it. Did you do a compression test? The rings may be worn?? Good luck!

If there is oil there does that mean the turbo is blown..

By blown u mean gotta get a new one right. Will it eventually get worse and will blow completely?

yes, what happens is the bearing in the center cartridge go bad and causes the shaft with the wheels on it to move un and down, back and fourth and it will eventually not build boost anymore. it will probably hit the walls and hopefully not break the compressor wheel and suck in your intake..thats the worst case scenario. waht will happen tho is from all that shaft movement, it will wear out the seals and blow them out, whick will make that spotless intercooler of yours fill up with about a half quart of oil depending on how long u drive it like that. LOL.

So this is what u think the white smoke is then the turbo is bad

could be..take off the inatke pipe and see if there is any shaft play in the turbo (grab the wheel and wiggle it up and down and see if it moves) if there is shaft play than you turbo could be taking a shit. now granit there could be some, but if it was bad enough that ur turbo was junk, then it would be pretty significant.

Ok i will do that today if there is no shaft play then what could the problem be?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back