The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

checking arp headstuds and final torque

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandman817

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2010
Lower Fairfield, Connecticut
After installing arp head studs in my 7 bolt block, i noticed they weren't completely even. Some of the studs did get finger tight sooner than others, should i be safe and chase each hold with an old head bolt. How important is it to get all of the head studs even?

Following arp's instructions, i will torque the head in factory order in 3 steps to 80ft/lbs with the supplied arp lube. I didn't see anything about rechecking torque, but should i re torque the head after 25 miles and then 50?

I had the same issue. I ended up finding out that I had oil get into the holes when I pulled the head. After using brake cleaner to shoot most of the oil out I took a thin screwdriver and put a rag around it and dried all the stud holes. Then just installed all the studs, and used the allen key to tighten them lightly.

Yup, sounds like you have debris and/or fluids in the holes on the block. You'll definitely need to clean those out. Use an air compressor and blast air into the holes to blow out whatever is in there. If the studs don't easily thread right in all the way after that, then you may need to chase the threads.

Also, no need to retorque once they're installed.

before i installed the studs, i sprayed a little brake cleaner in each hole and then sprayed it out with my air line. I got all of the junk out, but i think for safe measures im going to untorque the nuts and pull all the studs out and chase each hole.

If you do that, I would vacuum out the holes then to make sure there are no metal flakes in there that may stop the stud from going all the way in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back