The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

arp headstuds and cometic gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90rslaser

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2008
cheyenne, Wyoming
alright so im in the middle of doing my cometic MLS headgasket, and arp studs. now some people have been saying that i need to use thread locker on the stud part that screws into the block, but others say that is a no no. what should i do seeing as how this is a boosted application? other question is, do i just hand tighten the studs into the block, then install the head and nuts, or do i actually torque down the studs first before putting head and nuts on? any info would help. remember, this is a 1990 eagle talon awd turbo. arp studs and cometic mls headgasket. thanks guys!

ARP Head Stud Install for 1G TELs
Timing Belt VFAQ

Hope this helps but here's a quote from a different thread..

"Directions? IIRC they say something like this - Install the studs into the block hand tight, put on the head, put some moly lube on the threads, put on the washers and tighten to the torque you want. Some people run the engine to get it hot then re-torque. There's really not all that much to installing studs."

I've never heard of using threadlocker, I know you use the supplied molly lube. Also, were your head AND block decked to make sure the MLS HG seals correctly?

To sum up your questions.

1.) I would not put threadlocker on head stud. (The part that goes into the block)

2.) The only part of the head stud that should be torqued is when installing the nut on the stud with the head on. Do not torque the stud into the block. Personally, I tightened all my studs to the block by hand and then stuck an allen wrench on the stud and turned them all a 1/4 turn more.

3.) For additional assurance on your torque spec's, on each stud, wire wheel the threads that the nut will be applied to. This will give you an accurate reading when you torque your nuts.

4.) Also make sure to apply the moly lube to all surfaces that will contact each other when torquing the head stud.

Example: The stud threads, Both sides of the washer and the inside threads of the nut. To much moly lube can't hurt anything.

Hope this answeres all your questions.

ARP say you can use threadlocker if you wnat the studs to be permmanent, and that you must torque the studs when the threadklocker is still wet(not curred).

You probably do not want to use thread locker. If you ever want to remove the studs you will have to destroy the studs to remove them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back