The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cheap manifold strengthening

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
Hey guys. I have a cheap manifold, I got a stronger one but it doesn't fit with the holset. I'm not sure what it is, maybe somebody else knows. I added a support bar from the header flange to the collector flange and was thinking that would hopefully make this thing stay in one peice for longer.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Does anybody have experience with where/how these cheap manifolds break and any other suggestions to help it hold up a little longer. It's going to be a DD.

The runners are stainless. The flanges are mild steel. Different metals expand at different rates. Hence the cracking. Also, you have it heat cycling, with a turbo wastegate o2 housing and downpipe hanging off it. Nothing here is in your favor.

Best thing you could do is make a bracket off the engine block to support all the weight, so the manifold isn't treated as a bracket rather just something that just directs the exhaust gases.

I got a stronger one but it doesn't fit with the holset.
What manifold is the "stronger one"? And are you referring to a clearance issue or flange type?
If "doesn't fit" means clearance issue, should try a spacer with longer studs for the stronger one. It would probably be better than going with the cheap one. You would probably be struggling often with fixing cracks on the cheap one.

I can't remember the brand, the stronger one is a cast T3 manifold. The runners don't extend far enough out from the block by quite a lot with my turbo, I'm not sure if a spacer is going to do the job, also I had trouble finding one for sale. I will try to add a bracket from the block somewhere, and see if I can find a better manifold which will fit with an HX35 for longer term.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back