1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Cheap Ebay Turbo?

Posted by Anthony Berrios, Mar 9, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. Anthony Berrios

Anthony Berrios Probationary Member

Joined Feb 2, 2020
    YORK, Pennsylvania
    Ok so i bought a 90 Talon with some work done to it. The more I look into it the more I question the shotty work done to it. 2.3 stroker, It has dsm link but was never tuned. Run really rich. It has a huge turbo that I am having trouble identifying. It is a KTT1 and has a plate with the numbers ZY80064099. Also has 1200cc injectors. Should i even bother with this set up? Should I just equip a better turbo right now before tuning? I am currently working on putting on a new exhaust and tie up lose ends, then I’ll move to potential boost leaks (oir return line had no hose clamp, o2 housing was also not tight, i learned this while installing a new downpipe). I just need help what direction I should be heading and a good idea what would best suit my street weekend warrior car.

Attached Files:

2. DarkKnight86

DarkKnight86 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 25, 2016
    Mansfield, Texas
    That compressor housing looks fubared. Any in or out, up or down shaft play? Looks to be maybe a one of the ebay gt35 series. Other than the shotty work I would run it for the time being until you can come up on a deal. Just keep the boost low.

*edit* quick search and I think that turbo is a maxpeedingrorods gt3582 turbo maybe.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  3. Anthony Berrios

Joined Feb 2, 2020
    YORK, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the reply. Zero shaft play on turbo.

4. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Big turbo, 1200cc injectors, and no tune? Hope you haven't been getting into boost much. If that thing has a catalytic converter on it might as well take it off and throw it away.

If it were me, I'd buy a known quality turbo, get everything tightened up, boost leak test it, and get it tuned.

Street Build 9K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 8K  10  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    buddahboost likes this.
  5. Anthony Berrios

Joined Feb 2, 2020
    YORK, Pennsylvania
    I bought it in its current condition with no exhaust. So I am basically picking up all the pieces on the fly. Looks like it was just put together but never saw the road. It actually has stickers from 01 and the guy Bought it from claims it hasnt been on the road since 01. I attached pictures above of the guys post that shows all the mods he did. I am thinking of just replacing the turbo like you suggested, and tightening everything up and check for leaks. I really dont want my car being associated with cheap ebay parts to be honest.

any suggestions on what turbo should i apply based on the current motor build?

Vegas smith likes this.
  6. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I can understand when people use non-critical ebay parts, like maybe downpipes and test pipes, to save a little money. If those fail it usually isn't catastrophic. But any part of the engine or turbo system responsible for pumping air into the engine, is just too risky due to the potential cost of having to rebuild a motor. The turbo is not a component I'd look to skimp on, so I think you're on the right track to plan to purchase a replacement.

Street Build 9K  0

manual · 2G DSM

7. Anthony Berrios

Joined Feb 2, 2020
    YORK, Pennsylvania
    I agree 100%. Thanks again. Based on the current engine build, any recommendations what turbo I should be running? Hoping to make at least 350 with fast spool.

8. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    It's a built bottom end, you can go with pretty much any turbo you want depending on what your goals and driving habits are. All depends on what you're going for. Smaller turbo, better spool, or bigger turbo with more lag, bigger hp potential? If bigger hp, do you have the cash to fix parts when they break, because things will go wrong when you go for bigger hp. Did you want to run E85, pump gas, meth injection? Do you have to worry about visual emissions inspections in your area? Does the turbo have to look stock to pass? Once you answer all those you'll have a better idea of what turbo size you're after. This forum is loaded with questions about which turbo to get, it shouldn't be tough finding opinions. For 350-500 hp with fast spool, an Evo3 16g would be all you'd need.

Street Build 9K  0

manual · 2G DSM

9. chinola69

chinola69 Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2007
    Yonkers, New York
    With those goals and inexpensive my suggested is a 20g. Bolt on with a lot of potential and will get you those goals no problem

1K  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    14.840 @ 000.000 · 2G DSM
  10. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I like this guy already. It's hard to say what turbo you should get because they're so much to choose from. If you want 350 then grab yourself a cheap evo3 16g and start then. That may choke the 2.3L so maybe a 20g or hta68, hx35 would be more appropriate. Whatever you decide will be a lot of fun for sure.

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. Hickory-NC-2Ggsx

Hickory-NC-2Ggsx Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2018
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    Id do a hx35 if its already setup for a t3 turbo. Cheap, reliable and simple.

Street Build 305  1

Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 620  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. Anthony Berrios

Joined Feb 2, 2020
    YORK, Pennsylvania
    Thanks Everyone! I’m excited to get the ball rolling. Love the dsm community and I love this site! Thanks again!!!

13. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Turbo's a $180 journal bearing GT3076 knockoff from eBay. I'd definitely source something better if you plan on pushing it but from the sound of things the turbo itself is currently the least of your worries.

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

5K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  14. Anthony Berrios

Joined Feb 2, 2020
    YORK, Pennsylvania
    I ended up buying an hx35. Custom made a dual scroll manifold and got 2 brand new Tial wastegates for it. Getting ready to put it all together and tune at 25lbs. I’m really hoping the engine was put together correctly.

Funny Story: I bought the HX35 on FB marketplace and got to talking to the guy when we met up about my car. Turned out he is a fellow DSMer with a 600hp 90 same exact rare color as mine ( 2 tone dark blue silver) and he even introduced me to a guy that tunes.

Vegas smith likes this.
  15. import solutions

import solutions Proven Member

Joined Apr 27, 2013
    colimA, Texas
    With that 2.3 at 7500 rpms
    You should max out that turbo around 25psi (58lbs/min)
    To 28 psi(62lbs/min)
    Depends on hx35 compressor wheel size
    So will be a funny street combo and capable for 10s too