The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Change your gauges from orange to white. (1G)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lglracer

Supporting VIP
Jul 13, 2008
Sacramento, California
Ok everyone with either a 1ga or 1gb. Here is a quick way to make a quick upgrade that cost pritty much nothing. What we are going to do is basically change that stock orange gauge color and turn it to white. Heres how you do it.

1) Your going to need a long handled screw driver to get the black face plate off and get the screws. Now on the side where the two dots are theres a plastic piece there and it just pops off by grabbing the top and bottom and pulling. A helpful hint is to lower your steering all the way down to give you the most room possible.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2) Now that all the screws were out just pull the black frame forward and rotate it counter clock wise so you can take out the three plugs or two plugs if your a 1gb. Now when putting it back you can mess them up because there all different plugs.

3) Now that you have that there are four screws in the gauge cluster to undo and then you just pull the gauge cluster out.

4) Now you have to do the tricky part. There are a bunch of clips you have to take off. The clear ones are for the clear plastic and the black are for the black cover. Take off the clear plastic. Now the trick is to work your way around the cluster so you don't break any of the tabs off and to keep spreading the plastic apart so the tabs don't re-clip back on. Next do the same thing with the black tabs and work your way around.

5) Now that you have that off you can start undoing the screws for the gauges. now for a trick mark your gauges where the needles are at or you'll have to redo everything again and its a pain to do.

6) Next take the needle of with a very small set of needle nose pliers and just push it off be putting the pliers under the needle and just pry it up. Then take a screw driver and undo the two black screws and pull the gauge apart.

7) Now the modifying part. You take the back of the gauge and take some sand paper and sand it down to the regular plastic and take all that covering off.

8) Now after doing that hers the difference in the light.

9) Now do that to all your gauges and put them back in and then put the black plastic on but leave the clear plastic off. Now put it back into the car and start your car and make sure you put all the needles back in the same place. If you didn't just pop them back off and put them where there suppose to be. Im mainly talking about the temp, oil, and gas gauges. The rpm and the speed are normally fine if you put them back in the same spot. Now that everything is correct put the plastic cover on and start to put every thing back now remember on the frame to plug in the 3 plugs and the rotate it clockwise now and put the screws back in.

NOW HERES THE FINAL PRODUCT

It may seem to be orange still but thats because of the pix and I didn't sand it very good. But it really works. Than you can go get leds and put them in and it will be very white.

If you guys have any questions just post it or pm me.

Last edited:
I don't see how turning your orange gauge light to white would be an upgrade, I think orange looks nice; I have white colored gauge light in my DD and think it looks kinda plain & boring. Just my opinion thought.

I don't see how turning your orange gauge light to white would be an upgrade, I think orange looks nice; I have white colored gauge light in my DD and think it looks kinda plain & boring. Just my opinion thought.

By sanding the orange off though you can use superbrightleds.com drop in LED's and change the color to any color you want without the orange film affecting the color of the LED's.

Plenty of people have done it. I've done it on both my 3g and my 1g.

I was just seeing if it was a helpful thread or if it was a waist of time to post it.

By sanding the orange off though you can use superbrightleds.com drop in LED's and change the color to any color you want without the orange film affecting the color of the LED's.

Thanks for the web site I've been trying to find these forever and now I can get white ones.

Nice i had those leds in previous car. Now i can throw them in my dsm :). I love them i had it in blue looked real nice

My question is if all your gauges are set at zero except the fuel gauge why do you have to mark them and put them back in the same spot? On another note if the gauges are off when you put them back on this could be an easy fix for Speedometer reading if you know how many MPH off you are you can fix that. By pulling the needle and moving it.

What is the bulb number for a 2g dash? or are they the same? and its just plug and play no wiring right?

My question is if all your gauges are set at zero except the fuel gauge why do you have to mark them and put them back in the same spot? On another note if the gauges are off when you put them back on this could be an easy fix for Speedometer reading if you know how many MPH off you are you can fix that. By pulling the needle and moving it.

I thought the same thing about the guages at zero, but when i put everthing back together pretty much all my gauges were off but i just used dsmlink and those police things that tell you your speed/slow down haha :thumb:

I dont know the number for the led's But yes its just plug and play remove old lights out of the little socket and replace with the led's

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back