The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Cerakote on valves and pistons.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir

15+ Year Contributor
384
105
Apr 28, 2010
Winthrop harbor, Illinois
Has anyone on here use cerakote on valves and pistons? What was your experience? Can you provide feedback?

There is some concerns that I have with this:

1. If the top of the pistons get coated, wouldn't that cause problems with factory calculated thermal expansion, due to reduced heat being absorbed by the piston? That would cause accelerated wear on piston skirts and cylinder wall, as well as possible oil consumption do to increased cylinder wall to piston clearance, wouldn't it? Yes or no?

2. Since heat is the byproduct of combustion it needs to go somewhere. If the top of the cylinder head and valves, are coated along with the piston tops, wouldn't that heat cause the cylinder walls to get a lot hotter causing further rotating assembly clearance issue, before heat vents into the exhaust? That would possibly increase ECT temperatures, and increase combustion temperature.? It can probably even melt spark plugs do to lack of heat dissipation from the combustion chamber? Yes or no?

3. Since all that heat is now not being absorbed inside the combustion chamber, would the EGT shoot up drastically? I'll assume that on an N/A engine as long as the exhaust is heat wrapped and not close to anything it wouldn't cause any major issues aside from possible front O2 melting or catalytic converter melting if it's still there, maybe under hood temps will go up increasing air intake temps, but nothing major? Or should the exhaust manifold along with the downpipe be coated as well to reduce all that excess heat issues? Yes or no?

4. On a turbocharged engine with all that additional EGT, wouldn't the turbocharger take a beating? Possible oil boiling and starving the turbo. If turbo is watercooled as well it can possibly cause a vapor lock and loss of circulation? Im assuming the oil cooler needs to be upgraded sufficiently enough to prevent the oil from burning at the minimum? Yes or no?

5. How reliable is this practice in first place? Just for dragstrip runs? Can the car actually be driven daily or all that coating will eventually flake off causing additional cylinder wall scaring and other engine contamination issues?

6. How do you tune the engine properly? Without heat dissipating into the piston and valves combustion temperatures will increase, causing knock and some other possible issues. Im assuming it might cause underheaing issues if the engine is cold and not under load?

I stumbled upon a Cerakote advertisement yesterday and got so many more questions, I just don't want to make anyone nauseous reading all of them. This six questions mostly sum up what I'm having difficulty understanding. I've been a tech for 20 years and never seen anyone coating their engine internal like that! Was just wondering if someone on here got some experience with this. We can all advance our knowledge a little! Thanks in advance


Here is picture of what I'm talking about
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Even stock pistons are coated right out of the box. Are you talking custom coating something that isn't?
Piston skirts are coated, not the tops. Nascar and F1 use DLC coatings on cams , valves, pistons etc ... Haven't seen them use cerakote...I've never seen nor heard anyone of using ceramic coatings on piston tops and inside the combustion chamber where I attached pictures. Piston requires proper thermal expansion,... ceramic coatings will prevent that.

Edit: I'm sure cerakote would work to prevent pistons and valves from melting...but I wanted to know if anyone has hands on experience with it. Maybe some of my questions can get answered
 
Last edited:
Oem dsm piston tops are coated. Don't know with what but they're not shiny.
Lookup nippon pistons
Cheap oem cast replacements. Tops are coated.
Yes. I just looked nippon up, looks like some sort of ceramic coating is being used on the top part
 
Coating on the pistons - whether it's the skirts, tops or both is quite common - many aftermarket pistons will come this way. That will not cause any issue, however I do not see the need or desire to coat other parts of the combustion chamber, especially the cylinder head. It will still collect carbon and heat soak. I'd be more inclined to polish it on a high output build than to coat it. Because that at least improves airflow and delays carbon buildup.
 
Coating on the pistons - whether it's the skirts, tops or both is quite common - many aftermarket pistons will come this way. That will not cause any issue, however I do not see the need or desire to coat other parts of the combustion chamber, especially the cylinder head. It will still collect carbon and heat soak. I'd be more inclined to polish it on a high output build than to coat it. Because that at least improves airflow and delays carbon buildup.
I agree about the combustion chambers. Maybe it helps GDI engine valves stay cooler. But multiport injected vehicle I can't really see the reason.
Piston skirts coatings either Teflon or some sort of ceramic is very common. Cerakoted piston tops I haven't encountered yet.
I did do some research and see that they are out there. I can believe that they might be designed differently from the factory, meaning their expansion rate is different from the uncoated ones. Puting coatings on the skirts but not the top allows the piston to properly expand with the combustion chamber temperature increase to match cylinder wall expansion, it would not prevent heat absorption.

This picture that I've attached show that some people apply cerakote to piston tops that were not originally coated from the factory. If the piston was not designed that way, it would prevent proper expansion and cause piston slap and cylinder bore scaring once the cylinder walls absorb enough heat and expands.. Or is my logic flawed? Also EGT should go up a lot due to lack of heat abortion, no?
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 91-96 Auto DSM 300M Upgraded T-Case (USED)
    one of spares , brace is not included. Buyer covers shipping / fee.
    • The_Partout_Spot
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • Wanted PASSENGER DOOR LOWER MOLDING
    WANTED
    • LA_gst
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 2g 1999 eclipse gs-t spyder
    Very clean 2g spyder, only modifications is 14b turbo with 3inch exhaust. Well maintained and...
    • DSM B
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 1996 Talon TSI AWD
    1996 Talon TSI AWD $10,500*** PENDING PICK UP ***- 90,421 miles ( will go up a little ) -...
    • jersygsx
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g 2g power window motors. OEM
    RH and LH power window motors. OEM $40 each or $70 for the pair. Message 702-741-6987.
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top