The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Dashboard

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

importracr317

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2003
South Chicago S, Illinois
For everyone asking about what it would cost to get their dash wrapped in vinyl, leather, cheetah print fabric, etc, my dash is getting wrapped right now in CF vinyl at a cost of around $750 at a shop in Green Bay, WI.

Will post pics once completed. They're integrating my DIY fiberglassed passenger airbag TV, so it should finally look like one complete piece.

Figured I post for the collective good of the community. :thumb:

BTW - I'm selling my ABS dash cover with gauge pods since I'm getting this done if anyone is interest. See below - FS in my classified.

Attachments

• new_image_dash_2_thumb.jpg
    new_image_dash_2_thumb.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 2,380
  • new_image_dash_4.jpg
    new_image_dash_4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,014
Last edited:
Whats the shops name is extreme audio they told me $500 at a car show

Umm that much to wrap a dash in CF vinal.

I'll order the wide vinal myself, and wrap it.

I got my last CF vinal for like 4$.Not wide enough to do a dash.But for 4$,I couldn't pass it up.

Umm that much to wrap a dash in CF vinal.

I'll order the wide vinal myself, and wrap it.

I got my last CF vinal for like 4$.Not wide enough to do a dash.But for 4$,I couldn't pass it up.

Not stick-on vinyl bro....CF cloth. .... (where'd you learn to spell Bud? I know they teach kids in SW WI to spell better than that...:p)....

Yea you got taken.. The Dinoc stuff is so easy to use, and shrink.. I imagine most of that $$ is for taking the dash out and installing it.. Idk personally, the dinoc looks cheap (b.c it is) and doesnt even come close to the depth reacl CF gives. While those are facts, gl on the project. Id be interested to know what kind of "primer" they used. In heat you may face some lift off issues. Gl!

your tittle says its Vinal (sp) now you say its cloth.. what twill is it?. I doubt they are doing your dash in real CF. that overlay would be a bi***, and the last person who did it (on a supra dash) charged about 2K. not to mention that much fabric would run you ~150 so that theres enuf to not distort the weave. Not to mention the rest of the composite costs.. and the sanding time.. LOL. you realize that doing Real CF is more kin to a body shop then upolstry right.. so im wondering why they are even trying thier hand if its indeed "real" CF...which i doubt. cant wait to see pix..

my vote is its either Di Noc or a hydro dip...

And on a personal experiance note. getting the CF epoxy to adhere to you dash wont happen. It will break down b/c they are not even close to the same make up. so it will warp. We plan on doing this at the shop at some point, but the dash would need to be skinned.. and i doubt they 1. know that and 2. are going to do it. GL, best of luck.

Cool i live like 4 miles away from A1 Auto Upholstery

yea, if its real CF, it will be cleared and deff have a really bad glare.

It does seem a bit pricey to me. If I were you I would remove the dash myself and have them wrap it.

I like that gauge pod over the center of your dash. Never seen one before.

I like the idea of pulling the dash and taking a mold of it, then reap the benefits of having a full dry carbon dash and shedding some weight. It would be pricey, however, you're probably $500 shy of what it would cost to do it and it would be more than just cosmetic.

Something like this...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

At any rate, I'm sure it's going to look great man so be sure to post pictures once you get the car back!

:dsm:

Yea you got taken.. The Dinoc stuff is so easy to use, and shrink.. I imagine most of that $$ is for taking the dash out and installing it.. Idk personally, the dinoc looks cheap (b.c it is) and doesnt even come close to the depth reacl CF gives. While those are facts, gl on the project. Id be interested to know what kind of "primer" they used. In heat you may face some lift off issues. Gl!

EDIT: Posts like this make my head hurt. It's like some arm-chair mechanic trying to diagnose a problem without popping the hood. You have no clue what this shop is actually going to do, so speculation is simply ridiculous. Looking at the pictures in your classified ads, you CLEARLY know what you're doing when it comes to fiberglass and CF fabrication, but this isn't CF fabrication, this is upholstery.

To the other posters - I took the dash out and took it to the shop. They're effectively re-skinning the dash...this isn't some typical DIY DSMer hack job. They aren't using actual CF weave, they're using a CF "look" material. Look at pics of gixxerdrew's dash - that's what this should look like when complete, seam and all.

Will post pics when completed - won't be done for a month or so and then I have to find time to get up to Green Bay to pick it up.

@ gofer - that would be sick, but you'd have to create a mold (the back side of the dash wouldn't work), then get someone to vacuum mold or injection mold it....$$$....definitely a monumental waste of cash on a DSM.

The title of your thread is Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Dashboard though ROFL

True enough....but I figured most people would have the common sense to know I wasn't paying someone to slap a giant sticker over my dashboard though....guess I gave this crowd a bit too much credit. :idontknow:

The point of the thread is simple - a lot of people ask "what does it cost to wrap a dash". Here's a point of reference. Hopefully, it comes out well and future DSMers will know it should cost $700-800 to get a nice wrap done.

I just wanted it to be clear is all.. Your doing wrap. But calling it CF is kina misleading.. its more CF "print". Its all good. I just dont want ppl contacting me thinking i can wrap their dash in real cf (which i can) and thiking its going to be in the 700$ area.. b.c it most certainly wont be. For what your having done, im not sure if thats reasonable or not, your right im not Uphostry, but i hope you can understand the confusion when you say: Its CF, Its not a sticker, and an upholstry shop is doing it.. Thats why it seamed really off to me. GL, in it for pix. is ther pix of the other guys floating around?

here's a pic of jeff's talon at wildimports in griffth indiana. i think he still does the cf talon parts.

This is jeffs mirage with a real carbon fiber valve cover.

Attachments

• mirage-2012-shop-car.jpg
    mirage-2012-shop-car.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 222
I just wanted it to be clear is all.. Your doing wrap. But calling it CF is kina misleading.. its more CF "print". Its all good. I just dont want ppl contacting me thinking i can wrap their dash in real cf (which i can) and thiking its going to be in the 700$ area.. b.c it most certainly wont be. For what your having done, im not sure if thats reasonable or not, your right im not Uphostry, but i hope you can understand the confusion when you say: Its CF, Its not a sticker, and an upholstry shop is doing it.. Thats why it seamed really off to me. GL, in it for pix. is ther pix of the other guys floating around?

I would assume someone contacting you about fabricating a dashboard out of CF would understand there is a significant difference between lay-up CF and CF "look" material, leather, vinyl wrapping....again, maybe I give our members too much credit.

Thanks gofer...that's basically what I'm hoping for right there, layout and all, only with a different material.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, glowryder, I'm going to shoot you a PM about a fiberglass or CF bezel.....as in "actual" CF....not just wrapping it in CF look vinyl. :p

what about the bottom half >_>
i'll leave this here:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

glowryder did the wrapping on the glove box and the peice next to it.
the side panels, kicks, and sills are pure cf.

annnnddddd..... i have this whole set up still. PM for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back