The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A car wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse707

Probationary Member
Dec 7, 2009
Redmond, Oregon
ok so i have a 98 eclipse gs. it was running good untill one day it started bucking while i was on the highway. when i pulled over it died. over the next couple days i could drive it for 15 minutes at a time before it would start bucking if i let it sit for a couple hours. then one day on my way home it shut off completely and now it won't start at all. it cranks but won't start. ive replaced the crank and cam sensor, the asd relay, the coil pack, tested the fuel pump, tested the alternator. The car isn't getting fuel or spark. i'm outta ideas i need some help if anyone has any ideas. thanks

-DSM for life

Alright let's start off with the basics.
Check to make sure you have gas and aren't running low ( sounds goofy but believe me it happens. I've done it twice. How are your plugs? Wires?
If something is cranking and cranking its either not getting fuel, spark, or a signal (generally not in all cases though by fa). Buddy of mines car he went out to start it one day after it running perfectly fine the day before and wouldn't start.. ended up being ecu.

Its got gas and I just replaced the plugs and wires. I'm thinking it is the ecu but I thought I'd c if anyone else had this issue. Also my injectors aren't getting power

ok so i have a 98 eclipse gs. it was running good untill one day it started bucking while i was on the highway. when i pulled over it died. over the next couple days i could drive it for 15 minutes at a time before it would start bucking if i let it sit for a couple hours. then one day on my way home it shut off completely and now it won't start at all. it cranks but won't start. ive replaced the crank and cam sensor, the asd relay, the coil pack, tested the fuel pump, tested the alternator. The car isn't getting fuel or spark. i'm outta ideas i need some help if anyone has any ideas. thanks

-DSM for life

Use a test light to see if you lost the 12 volts to the injectors or the drive circuit. That way you can choose a course of action. Check ALL of your fuses. If memory serves me correctly, there's an engine fuse that should be looked at.
Let us know what you find so we know which way to lead you.

Good Luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back