The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

car randomly dies while driving.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skate4life_066

15+ Year Contributor
May 27, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
hey everyone. i have a 90 tsi awd and everytime i drive it, it will just randomly die while im driving and then cut back on a second later, sometimes it doesnt come back on for a few seconds. everytime it dies, the check engine light will come on and my safc will reset like the car was just started. i thought it was my ecu but i swapped them out and it still does it... ive also swapped out the cas, knock sensor, coil pack, and that power transister unit thing by the coil pack and it still does it. i have checked battery connections and they are tight. i have no clue what it could be. it started about a week after my sheet metal intake manifold install so im not sure if it could be relevant. when its not trying to die it runs good so i was thinking it must be a wierd electrical problem. my mods are jmf smim, front mount, safc, and other stuff that probably wouldnt be related. has anyone else had this problem? please help me. thank you

I would check all your wiring connections going to and from your SAFC. Something may have came loose, causing an intermittant open in the circuitry.

i will check safc connections, battery is not tied down but it is dropped down where the charcoal canister is supposed to be and nothing is even close to the positive post but i will put a insulator in there, and my coil pack isnt mounted to anything, its just sitting there ontop of other shit. could that be why? thank you very much for the respones. any more? this is how it looks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yes i would say there is a chance that the coil being mounted like that would have and effect on it. and also i see that your BOV is not recurculated.. i would check that out becosue when i vented my BOV my car did the exact same thing. and its lookin sexy man good work

Have you tried the alternator? I had an old grand prix that acted a little like that. I swapped out the alternator and a timing belt, and that 22-year-old V8 ran like new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back