The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink car randomly died/ fuel pump relay clicking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH91awd

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2011
chillicothe, Ohio
so i decided to fire the car up after sitting a bit (week or two max) and the battery was dead. i threw the car on a charger and let it sit for a little bit to charge. fired the car up and it ran for about 5-10 minutes then it died and i noticed the fuel pump relay clicking and the pump trying to cycle along with the relay clicking. it done this to me two maybe three times and then fired up and idled fine after. i was wondering if anyone else has had this issue? curious if this was just a fluke voltage issue because th battery was low or is there something i should check. ive started the car a couple more times and havent been able to do it again but still has me worried.

Did you measure what the electrical system voltage was when it's acting up?

How about logging the process to see if the ECU is talking the whole time.

Most of the time when relays are clattering either the ECU isn't running, the system voltage is too low, or the relay's driver circuit can't pull the coil low enough to activate it. I don't usually see bad MPI relays but that is also possible.

Did you measure what the electrical system voltage was when it's acting up?

How about logging the process to see if the ECU is talking the whole time.

Most of the time when relays are clattering either the ECU isn't running, the system voltage is too low, or the relay's driver circuit can't pull the coil low enough to activate it. I don't usually see bad MPI relays but that is also possible.

i didnt think to check when it happened. like i said it had only done it a couple times then quit. that why i wondered if it was voltage related since my battery was low (had to put it on the charger to get it to crank up). i do have link setup to turn the pump on with ignition. now im curious if the ecu lost connection causing it. but it hasnt done it anymore since then

welll. i cant get this car to duplicate what it did before. ive tried to get it to do it about three times now. so would i be safe to say this was nothing more than voltage?

That would be my guess.
like im sitting out with the tablet with a stream running trying to get it to do it again LOL. i was just worried because of the fuel pump rewire relay going nuts then working fine. im going to guess the extra juice the big pump draws is what done it.

When I have experienced that, a dead ecu was in the future. It would be a good idea to pull the ecu and look for capacitor leakage, after that I would clean the grounds under the hood and in the car for the ecu.

When I have experienced that, a dead ecu was in the future. It would be a good idea to pull the ecu and look for capacitor leakage, after that I would clean the grounds under the hood and in the car for the ecu.
was yours a constant thing? i cant get it to do it anymore and ive tried several times to replicate it again except drain the battery down LOL but ill definitely double check the ecu to rule it out.

was yours a constant thing? i cant get it to do it anymore and ive tried several times to replicate it again except drain the battery down LOL but ill definitely double check the ecu to rule it out.
No, it wasnt constant, very unpredictable in fact, you could be running fine for a few days and then be pulling a hill and it would start clicking and cutting out until having to coast off the side of the road where it would die and finally restart after sitting for a few minutes, I've had ground issues cause the same symptoms on my 1gb Talon.

No, it wasnt constant, very unpredictable in fact, you could be running fine for a few days and then be pulling a hill and it would start clicking and cutting out until having to coast off the side of the road where it would die and finally restart after sitting for a few minutes, I've had ground issues cause the same symptoms on my 1gb Talon.
yea this was the first time it has ever done it and mine fired right back up after.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back