The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car Overheated / Overheating / Overheats [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTRCOOL

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2002
Richmond_Va.
OVERHEATING? The issues and their solutions have remained the same- either you don't have enough cool air reaching the rad, there's a cooling system obstruction which is preventing coolant from circulating, or your head gasket has failed and is allowing coolant to be consumed or pushed away from the engine.

Discuss all possible overheating problems and solutions here.

OK,
I just left my house to go over to my GF's,and happen to look down and see my needle right before the red mark. This just happened out of nowhere. I stop the car as quickly as i can, and pour in some coolant(Coolant a little low). Still same thing. Welp im in the middle of the road, and HAD to get it home. Im only 5 min from my house. I decided to try and make it(I really had no other choice). Welp I drive no faster than 20mph, and the temp needle is BARELY into the red the whole way.And occasionaly to the left of it. Am I ok?? Do ya think any damage was done?? And im thinking either thermostat, or water pump. For each of those, whats a round about $$ figure to get replaced?? Any info you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
So story is my car is somewhat overheating... its going a little past halfway. I replaced my thermostat in the winter, with a 180 deg thermostat. Recently i took off my a/c fan because it was touching my new 3" dp, which was melting the fan in the end. So my question is do you think the car would overheat without the a/c fan? or does it have to do with my thermostat...... Or possibly the coolant, i put in 50/50 mix coolant in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Is the car overheating with the AC on or is it off?

when i turn on the a/c the car violently shakes, and sounds like its going to die. My car is a bit warm atm so i will have to check for trapped air when it cools down i will update you in a bit.

So sounds like your idle is too low with the a/c on. But when does it overheat, when using the ac, or just regular driving with no ac?

no i have not checked the compression, i will test it and will give an update.

by chance does anyone know what compression should be?

The 1g 4G63T uses 7.8:1 compression cast pistons and has a standard compression of 164 psi with a service limit of 121 psi with a maximum allowable pressure difference (MAPD) of 14 psi.

Is this a stock radiator fan? Do you have a FMIC? Is the factory radiator ducting still in place and not blocking anything. In addition to the question about whether it is over heating with the A/C on or not, is it overheating while cruising or at idle?

The first thing I would do is make sure your coolant system is full with no air in the system. Let it idle with the heat running and squeezing both radiator hoses to make sure all the air is out of the system and keep adding more until you can't get anymore in and no more air comes out. Also make sure you have the proper amount of coolant in your coolant overflow.

You can also try adding more water then coolant, which will assist with better cooling.

My car was also overheating and I tried some Royal purple purple ice that helped for a little while and then I topped it off with some Radiator stop leak additive and I've been having great results now. I'm sure this won't fix everyones problem but I just wanted to add this in it's worth a shot!

If you are mounting the SPAL (or any fan) on the engine-side of the radiator (which is the same location as the original OEM fans) then you need PULL type fans. The idea is to PULL colder air from outside into the engine compartment - the fan(s) will pull the air across both the FMIC and the A/C condensor if you have A/C and then the radiator.

FINALLY....my overheating issues are solved. I needed TWO Spal fans. Today it was almost 100 degrees....and my temperature stayed right in the middle with no A/C on....and with the A/C on....the temp went a little bit above the center of the temperature gauge.

I bought my Spal fans from Ebay (see link)
Spal 12" High Performance Fan Puller Curved 1451 CFM | eBay

Because I've also had a problem with the heat burning-up my fan wires, the shop that I had install these last two fans also created a metal heat-shield/barrier for the wires and that was attached right to the fan.

I was REALLY tired of constantly overheating and burning-up fans and fan wiring....so I'm knocking on wood that my problems are finally solved. :pray:

ok so here i am about to go get new wires and plugs for boggin and then i see smoke so i pull over and its leaking near my thermostat but it is not the thermostat that is leaking im not sure what it is...i can hear it spew water and it sounds like its behind my thermostat(toward firewall) so please help me i dont know what part could be leaking back there...

Two hoses run from under the thermostat/throttle body to the firewall. The hoses cost less than $5. Pick up some new clamps as well.

no cause im thinking that my radiator and thermostat need to be swapped out cause when i bought the car everything on it was original and never replaced so i am gonna change the radiator and thermostat and the cap and see how that does i think it was just so much pessure on the cap that the antifreeze went everywhere from that point

I installed a punishmentracing aluminum radiator and their slim fans and their fmic kit at the same time and i drove the car yesterday and it was doing great for 30 minutes or so and then it started overheating. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

Thanks.

Are the fans turning on?

If it only overheats at a stop, it's your fans.

If its overheating like going 55 mph, you got something else going on.

yeah the fans are turning on and pulling air through the right way. i never had any problems with the stock radiator but in had a little pin hole leak so i replaced it with the front mount install since i was already in there.

Were you driving or sitting when it overheats?.

I would replace the thermostat.
Maybe check the heater core... Blockages... hmm

nope i was almost home and bam it just started overheating on me. I mean i know its hot here in florida but i dont know why it took so long to overheat.

a little over halfway. the check engine light came on bc i have link set up to let me knw if it gets to hot. i didnt get a chance to hook it up and look at the actaul temp. the thermostat isnt that old either.

No the fluid level was good its a half and half blend. i did not burp it. ive never done it before but ive never had a aluminun rad either.

Burping it just means, letting the air bubbles out at the highest point of the cooling system. On my car it's the cap right next to the left side of the head near the cam sensor.

But your aft mkt radiator may have a fitting on itself to burp it, I have ran into that before.

I mean as of now, all I can think of is starting the car with the cap off, and add coolant till it just wont take anymore. Then post how much it takes. Worth a shot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back