The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Car moves when clutch let out in neutral

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmw2616

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2009
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Hello, I own a 96 Eagle Talon Tsi Fwd and whenever I start the car in neutral and let the clutch out the idle drops and the car tries to move forward. Eventually if I sit in the car and rev it while letting out the clutch slowly, I can get the clutch out all the way but then it idles low, around 600-750 rpm, and wants to die. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Cody

Have you noticed your tranny getting more difficult to shift at any point? Has it been rebuilt recently? On these trannys the shafts that hold all of the gears and bearings together have these giant nuts on the end of them like a 24mm or bigger(just had mine taken apart like 2 days ago and I cant remember)and alot of people just put them on as tight as they can and that doesnt allow the gears to disingage all the way causing a problem like your having. It's definatley more than a clutch or pressure plate issue.

it idles low, around 600-750 rpm, and wants to die. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Cody

the stock idle is set at 750 so your idle is where it needs to be. But the post above me has a good point about it more likely being the tranny itself then a clutch problem.

Unfortunately, I just purchased the car and have had to fix a lot of minor things to get it running, so I do not not know if the tranny was recently rebuilt or anything of that sort. From the little I have driven it though, it has actually shifted better than my 1990 gsx. It goes into gear with no difficulty and shifts without grinding. Where are these nuts that hold the shaft on? Are they inside the transmission or would I be able to get to them from the outside?

As far as the idle goes I meant when I let my clutch out it goes from 1000rpm to around 600 rpm. Low meaning lower than where my idle is set at.

What ever the problem is, it is going to require removing the transmission. I had the same problem in my 3K vr4 but it began slowly it was fine in the beginning and got progressivly worse. I found out the retainers that held in the clutch springs broke and the springs came out and themselves were in the space where the PP fingers are..

--edit-- I had shifting problems though

I know it's probably highly unlikely but, could it have anything to do with the viscosity of the gear oil in combination with cold Wisconsin winters? Also I don't know if this would make a difference but the car was also sitting for over a year when I bought it.

Those giant nuts I was talking about are inside the transimission If you take it out there are to three pieces to the shell of the tranny. theres the bell housing,a center piece and there is a smaller part on the end that has like 8-10 12mm bolts holding it on....remove that and you will be able to see the shift fork,gear and synchros for 5th gear along with another shaft . Ontop of the gears on both shafts are those nuts I'm talking about they might be a 32mm they are pretty big but see if you can wiggle them with your fingers you should be able to if they are so tight and you cant move them that is probably your problem you need to back them off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn you will be able to move them on the shafts then you need to take a chizzle and put two notchs in the nut to them on to the shafts so they dont come off. Then make sure the transmission is in nuetral and spin the shaft that the throwout bearing is on in the bell housing, Now while spinning that shaft look inside of your differintial and make sure it is not spinning if it is you'll need to loosen the nuts even more because the gears are not disengaging all the way. By the way the nuetral selection is where you can pull in and out on the selector freely.

Could there be anything else causing this? Unfortunately I do not have the means to drop the transmission in my driveway. Should I be driving my car with ha problem or am I potentially damaging my transmission by driving it?

Its the clutch grabbing for some reason. Street bikes do this. While a bike is in neutral the rear wheel will still move if the tire is off the ground. Im not sure how to fix it or why its doing that. Sorry

Its not the clutch it's the transmission when its in nuetral the only way it should spin at all is when its on a lift all the way off the ground and there is absolutely nothing restraining it and still most of the time it wont even spin the wheels. Its not a bad Idea to change the gear oil in it, I would get something a little thicker than what it calls for that should help.

As far as transmission fluid what would you recommend? I have four quarts of GM synchromesh in the trunk of my car, would that be thick enough?

does the problem persist when the car warms up? and 400hp93talon has given some good advice!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back