1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G car died, won't start

Posted by DSMDEAN, Jul 3, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. DSMDEAN

DSMDEAN Probationary Member

Joined May 9, 2019
    North OGDEN, Utah
    I was driving home today and as I pulled in the neighborhood my car died and will not turn back on. it was running great prior to this. I'm stumped on what it could be

Street Build 143  1

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. AllanL

AllanL Proven Member

Joined Apr 24, 2008
    LV, Nevada
    you have fuel right?

3. DSMDEAN

Joined May 9, 2019
    North OGDEN, Utah
    update: towed the car to my house when trying to crank it sounds like a drill, spins accessory belt but doesn't spin cam gears / timing belt. Timing belt is tight although it did seem to be off the cam gears. yes I have gas ahah

Street Build 143  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. AllanL

AllanL Proven Member

Joined Apr 24, 2008
    LV, Nevada
    balancer belt got caught up wit the main timing belt?

5. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    If cam gears aren't spinning but crank is then the belt is toast and you probably have bent valves

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    DSMDEAN likes this.
  6. KYLE JORGENSEN

KYLE JORGENSEN Probationary Member

Joined Sep 22, 2018
    SPOKANE VALLEY, Washington
    or broken cam gears they tend to happen but if anything its probably your timing belt breaking like pauleyman said hopefully you didn't bend valves

Street Build 617  16

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    DSMDEAN likes this.
  7. DSMDEAN

Joined May 9, 2019
    North OGDEN, Utah
    alright that's what I was worried about. I was hoping it wasn't the timing belt, the guy I bought it from had the timing belt done 18k miles ago.

Street Build 143  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    This says it all. Crank is turning but cams aren't Guessing the belt stripped teeth or balance belt got in the way. Without knowing what was done or what's going on under the covers its not possible to say 100%. You wont know until you go look.

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. DSMDEAN

Joined May 9, 2019
    North OGDEN, Utah
    I'll update the thread once I figure out more :)

Street Build 143  1

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  10. nite owl

nite owl Probationary Member

Joined Sep 13, 2005
    Grass Valley, California
    Yup, you're screwed! Timing belt is toast... Just a guess but it sounds like your b/s belt broke & got caught up in your timing belt causing it to bind up & break or ground all the teeth off the belt. Might just as well remove the timing belt cover to take a peek at what happened. Either way it has to come off to remove the head and repair all the bent valves, which 99.99% of the times happens. Had this happen to mine a few months ago. The idler bearing froze up on the b/s belt causing it to break which in turn got caught up in the timing belt which caused it to break also. Good luck buddy, I feel your pain...

DSMDEAN likes this.