The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car caught fire, now dies after 5 seconds of running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHIZZLE99GST

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 22, 2005
Lascassas, Tennessee
Hey everyone, ive got a bit of a problem...

The story is i was changing an o-ring in my injector last night and a friend was trying to bleed the fuel lines to syphen the gas because we were gonna change the fuel pump too and i had a full tank-calls for 1/2 or less. Well the idea of turning the car over with plugs pulled so it wouldnt start came up, i had the fuel rail back in place and as the car was being turned over the fuel return line shot bout a cup or 2 of fuel through it under the fuel rail and some thing egnited it burning the plastic around some of the wires. We went through all visible wires and cut off the scorched plastic to see that all the wires were fine, then proceeded to dry the everything that was wet. Once it was all cleaned up we tried starting it, it started rough at firt til we got all the fuel back in the system, then it started smooth but only ran for 5 seconds and shut off at the same time everytime we tried it. So if anyone has any suggestions on what else to check or knows what it may be, help would be appreciated, thanks. :confused:

First, pull the mpi fuse to disable the fuel pump next you do a fuel system bleed down.

If the plug wires were melted, change them. If the car didn't not have this problem prior, focus on parts that were caught on fire and start swapping in spare parts.

Yeah, its weird though because it will start up and idles fine for a few seconds, then dies at the exact same point like something is cutting the fuel.

oldman said:
First, pull the mpi fuse to disable the fuel pump next you do a fuel system bleed down.

If the plug wires were melted, change them. If the car didn't not have this problem prior, focus on parts that were caught on fire and start swapping in spare parts.

Where is the mpi fuse and how exactly do i do a fuel system bleed down. If there is a link for any of this i would appreciate it very much. Plug wires were still good, we wrapped all the wires in which the plastic burned with electrical tape for now. If you have any other suggestions or comments please tell me. Thanks.

PHIZZLE99GST said:
Where is the mpi fuse and how exactly do i do a fuel system bleed down.
For a 2G, the mpi fuse is locate in the fuse box, you should really invest in a service manual. Fuel system bleed down is exactly what you were trying to do, relief the system of fuel pressure before changing the injectors.

Plug wires were still good, we wrapped all the wires in which the plastic burned with electrical tape for now.
If you're referring to the plug wires, I would suggest replacing it instead of wrapping it with electrical tape.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back