The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Car breaking up on high rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo0sTeD 4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with my car breaking up at high rpms. It usually starts to break up at around 5k and doesn't stop. The rpms will still go up but it will break up all the way through. I have uploaded a log and a video so you can see. If there is anything else you guys can think of let me know and I will try to post it right away. I need to figure this out asap.

Click here to see a video of what the car does and sounds like when it starts to break up.

Attachments

• 2016.06.03-Track.01.elg
    90.1 KB · Views: 117
What kinds of mods do you have to your air supply and fuel supply? It sounds like fuel cut to me but I have no clue where you are at with engine mods.

What kinds of mods do you have to your air supply and fuel supply? It sounds like fuel cut to me but I have no clue where you are at with engine mods.
Check my profile

If you're going to tell people trying to help you to check your profile for mods, you should probably make sure it's a comprehensive list. Your mod list sucks, and it's too vague for anyone to actually use it to help you. Go update it: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/welcome-to-dsmtuners-now-go-create-a-dsm-profile.499707/

For starters, why aren't you logging your WBO2, MAP and IAT? Do you even have a WBO2 or IAT? You're profile says you have an AEM WB, but I don't see it configured in ECMLink. You need to configure ECMlink to log your sensors so you can actually make adjustments to the tune.

Your tune needs some work. If you want help, follow the instructions here and post them up in this thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wa...r-receive-no-replies-from-the-wisemen.443297/

See here for what values to capture: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/list-of-values-to-log.444831/

How much boost are you running? I bet it's probably enough to need a colder plug. Plugs in the 6 heat range are for cars on near stock boost levels with minimal modifications. Your car probably isn't in this category based on what little information is in your profile.

Thanks GST. Basically said exactly what I was going to until his rather rude response. If you want people to help you they need the info. It hard enough for people to diagnose a broad issue like you describe without having to go back and forth with you about your mods and maintenance. You are lucky that GST is patient enough to help you out. Good luck!

A few things.

1. Your missing what size turbo you're running in your profile... judging by how laggy it is I'd assume something not in an MHI turbo

2. How old are your plug WIRES? and why (based on your level of mods) are you running BPR6 plugs? You should be running BPR7ES. gapped to at least .28

3. Why is your DA table so rich? It's possible it's a too rich misfire, You should be aiming for an 11.0 AFR, def not anything in the 9s.

EDIT: Oops GST beat me to it.

In ignition problem is likely, but it's definitely not blow out.

What fuel are you on, and how much boost? You'll probably want a non-projected tip plug, especially if you're on E85.

I bought the spark plugs and gaped them to .28 and the problem still keeps happening. I attached a log with all the updated values for viewing this was a second gear pull.

Attachments

• log.2016.06.12-01.elg
    24.5 KB · Views: 56
You should be on a non-projected tip plug gaped tighter than .28. FWIW, when I was having some breakup issues at high RPM, I swapped to an Iridium non-projected 8 range plug gaped at .18.

I'll take a look at your log if/when you update your profile and answer all the questions in my first post.

If you're going to tell people trying to help you to check your profile for mods, you should probably make sure it's a comprehensive list. Your mod list sucks, and it's too vague for anyone to actually use it to help you. Go update it: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/welcome-to-dsmtuners-now-go-create-a-dsm-profile.499707/

For starters, why aren't you logging your WBO2, MAP and IAT? Do you even have a WBO2 or IAT? You're profile says you have an AEM WB, but I don't see it configured in ECMLink. You need to configure ECMlink to log your sensors so you can actually make adjustments to the tune.

Your tune needs some work. If you want help, follow the instructions here and post them up in this thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wa...r-receive-no-replies-from-the-wisemen.443297/

See here for what values to capture: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/list-of-values-to-log.444831/

How much boost are you running? I bet it's probably enough to need a colder plug. Plugs in the 6 heat range are for cars on near stock boost levels with minimal modifications. Your car probably isn't in this category based on what little information is in your profile.

I updated my profile with all my current mods and I updated a new log on a second gear pull with all the updated values.

I updated my profile with all my current mods and I updated a new log on a second gear pull with all the updated values.

Good for you. I'm not digging through your profile to find a mods list and a data table and neither is anyone else.

Post your
Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
Engine management
Turbo size
Recent maintenance
And how and when the problem first started

Good for you. I'm not digging through your profile to find a mods list and a data table and neither is anyone else.

Post your
Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
Engine management
Turbo size
Recent maintenance
And how and when the problem first started

Twin Walbro 255
FIC 2150cc
ECMLink V3 Speed Density
.70 A/R Turbo
I just finished changing spark plugs to BPR7ES, NGK spark plug wires, I check to make sure I have no boost leaks and I also installed a new tial bov last week because I had an HKS bov and I thought it might be bad since I've had it for a long time. The problem only happens once I pass 5k rpms anything lower than that and the car runs smooth.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back