The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Can you How to on fcd or missing link?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadc

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2008
Kapolei, Hawaii
I dont know if its possible. Ive seen some honda that can do it(not saying that hondas and dsm's are the same)BUT I was wondering If there is a how to, on how to make a FCD or even better, a missing link? Seen some pictures on the MAS and they made check valves on them. Think that was a honda though :( I was wondering if we can do the same??

FCD = Fuel Cut Defencer....

A missing link is a check valve inline with your MAP sensor that stops it from seeing boost. If your gonna boost your 420a it is a necessity, when the sensor sees postitive pressure, it cuts the fuel... very bad if your boosting :(

A FCD is an electronic way to do the same thing. It works by clamping the maximum voltage that the MAP sensor can send to the ECU, thus also stoppnig fuel cut

There are a few different companies that you can buy both devices from.

Just for reference, If you have a 420a, then you have a MAP (Manifold absolute pressure), not a MAS (Mass airflow sensor)

Happy boosting

Oh and don't bump your own thread.....big NO NO on the rules list....

n/p White_dsm

I guess I don't understand sadc, if your N/T then you don't have a MAS sensor, you have MAP. If you have MAP, then yes you can just make or buy a Missing Link, install it on the sensor on the intake manifold and be done. If you are asking if you can install a MAS sensor, then no you can't, at least without serious mods like AEM EMS or other standalone.

ok so heres my MAS
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and this is where the sensor is going to, to the intake manifold

Sensor is on the left. I was wondering if i can make a missing link out of the nipple thats sticking straight out, on the left hand side of the picture??

I dont know if i can only make a missing link On the sensor it self or if i can relive pressure on the intake manifold by making check valves. I was reading up and making check valves(missing link) check check valve is releasing 2psi per check valve? I am most likely wrong LOL

The first picture is your MAP sensor (You don't have a MAS), the sensor on the right in the second picture is your IAT sensor. The vacuum tree on the left in the second picture provides a vacuum signal to cruise, EGR, etc.

Unless you have access to a mill, you can't make a missing link for this vehicle. The missing link must be installed between the MAP sensor and the manifold. If you look at how the MAP mounts to the manifold, you will see how you cannot use a simple check-valve for this.

The FCD if preferred over the ML due to its reliability. You can make your own FCD if you want, or you can just purchase one. Try SymTech Laboratories: Design, consulting, prototyping, and manufacturing.

Let me know if you want instructions on how to build your own FCD; but the SymTech FCD doesn't cost much more than one you'd build yourself, is solid, and has real support in the unlikely event you actually need it.

That one looks pretty easy. If that intimidates you, you'd have little interest in the drawing I have. Voltage clamps don't get much more simple than that.

I would definetly have to agree. I had a homemade FCD on my old 98 N/A. Those are about as simple as they get, and in my opinion, they are the easiest and most effective way to block your ECU from seeing boost.

Missing links work ok for the most part too, but like Locke said, they are difficult to produce for the 420a's MAP sensor. Your gonna need a mill or CNC to make one correctly.

This is one of those parts you don't want to be cheap on, if your boosting and your ECU cut's fuel, your engine's gonna suffer.

Good Luck

It only showing for MAP shouldn't concern you though, since that is all you have. It won't work very well either, though. Zener diodes are not clamping devices. It worked for Gus Mahone back in the day when he was at the head of the turbo dodge game, but it is inaccurate and not very reliable.

If you can afford to turbo your vehicle, why are you trying to cut corners on one of the cheapest components of the turbo install, and ironically one which can make the difference between producing lots of power to producing absolutely no power? SymTech's FCD only cost $50, I believe, and you can find ML for cheaper.

This is Stoaks' design, and is a pretty good one. This is a filtered and protected adjustable active voltage clamp with good precision and reliability.

D1-2 - 2 1N4001 Diodes
D3 - 1 1N914 Diodes
R1 - 1 680 ohm 5% Resistor
R2 - 1 10k 5% Resistor
R3 - 1 10k 10 Turn Cermet Trimmer
C1 - 1 0.01 uF Mylar Capacitor
U1 - 1 LM358AN Dual Op-Amp
Brd - 1 1.6X2.7 inch Epoxy Glass PCB
Box - 1 3.1x2.0x0.9 inch ABS Box

Last edited by a moderator:
missing link sucks!!!! the filter element gets plugged and it spits it out. and i still get fuel cut from it all the time!! I just bought a fuel cut defender from symtech!!!! your best bet with your knowledge is to buy a fcd and be done with it!!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back