The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Can’t seem to get my emissions monitors ready or complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey_Dsm

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2021
Layton, Utah, Utah
So I bought my 95 2g GST at the beginning of the year and have been fixing it trying to get it up and running. The place I bought it from doesn’t have emissions and trying to get it registered now means I have to get it to pass emissions where I live.

The car has an AEM AFR and boost gauge, FMIC, AFPR, big 16g turbo, a tubular manifold, and a cold air intake for mods that the previous owners installed. Don’t know to the full extent of what they’ve added but I plan to add the supporting mods to the car soon.

I’ve recently bought ECMLink to tune the car and hopefully get rid of a P0300 code it keeps throwing due to me running a 95 ECU with a cam sensor on the engine that isn’t its original 95 sensor.

I’ve been driving the car everywhere I could with variable driving for the past month and a half and can’t seem to get the following sensors ready: catalyst, Evap system, 02 sensor mon, 02 sensor htr, and the EGR system.

I’ve replaced the cat and got a new one because it didn’t have one originally. I’ve fixed exhaust and boost leaks on the car. I’ve done everything I possibly could to get it ready and in working condition.
I have someone who can help me pass emissions I just need to get those sensors to read complete, but it’s been a real head scratcher for me.

Any advice for what I should do next would really help and be appreciated!

I’m still new to the DSM platform so forgive me if I haven’t done enough research on my situation, but I’ve researched as much as I could.

95 thru 97 factory turbo ECUs have a bug & the monitors (readiness codes) reset at keyoff therefore, never set. It's a known problem & the EPA standard has published exemption for these car years.

The documents are uploaded on this forum. Search for "readiness monitors" & you should find them & can download. I know this because I uploaded them several years ago. But you shouldn't need them because these exemption should automatically come up on the test station when they connect the emissions tester to your ECU.

95 is pre OBD II. OBD II was not mandantory until 96. They should also let you use the tail pipe sniffer for emissions.

had the same problem with my 96 the final year before the safety only 25 year exemption. the only way to get it to pass as ready was to drive it for an hour and then it would randomly say ready. i had to tell a friendly shop not to turn off the car while doing inspection.

for the final year for my 1999 I was able to get a tactrix cable and find a ceddy mods file to modify the emissions readiness to n/a for egr, 02, cat, and, emissions and it would pass

the 98-99 ecu take forever, like 3 weeks of driving to set all as ready

Last edited:
95 thru 97 factory turbo ECUs have a bug & the monitors (readiness codes) reset at keyoff therefore, never set. It's a known problem & the EPA standard has published exemption for these car years.

The documents are uploaded on this forum. Search for "readiness monitors" & you should find them & can download. I know this because I uploaded them several years ago. But you shouldn't need them because these exemption should automatically come up on the test station when they connect the emissions tester to your ECU.

95 is pre OBD II. OBD II was not mandantory until 96. They should also let you use the tail pipe sniffer for emissions.
Since the 95 was pre obd2 and it wasn’t mandatory till 96. That means I’m eligible to have them use a tail pipe sniffer then? But my 95 also has a obd2 port they can use, so when they test my car that’s usually what they use. If this is the case I would be able to convince them to use a tail piper sniffer? I think that’s what I’m getting from that

How many miles have you put on it to “set” the monitors.
I’ve put on roughy 150-200 miles on it since getting it running again. Maybe more but that’s a ball park estimate

My 98 black box did seem to take weeks to ready up. Have since swapped to an EPROM ECU and ran into this situation, but found the exemption information. Handed a copy to the guy inspecting and he verified it through his own channels.

While they will still connect to the ODBII port to get engine info/RPM, Both my 95 FWD and my 98 get the tailpipe sniffer treatment. The 95 FWD still gets put on the dyno, while the 98 AWD got the stationary testing since most test sites don't have AWD dynos.

I finally found a nice guy that never finds a problem with my cars. I was able to take a picture of him while he was checking for a CAT.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How many miles have you put on it to “set” the monitors.
The monitors are not set by miles but rather by driving conditions. Here's what the FSM says on setting the monitor codes. Black box ECU is different.

Also, here's the Mitsubishi Technical Service Bulletin they issued about the troubles getting the codes to set.

Attachments

• 1995-1997 OBD-II RCU Drive Cycles.pdf
    905.5 KB · Views: 15
  • TSB 00-13-005 ODB-II Drive Cycle.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
No one has said it yet, but likely they are never going to set since you have an AEM sensor most likely in the O2 monitor location, and previous owner probably deleted all the evap/EGR system stuff. If he left all the sensors plugged in, MAYBE it could set on its own, but not sure how the sensors would see what they actually need to reset if they are not actually plumbed into the system. Leaving them plugged in will keep a CEL light from popping, but may not set the systems. With DSMLink you can lock the CEL for these issues, but not manually set them "ready".

No one has said it yet, but likely they are never going to set since you have an AEM sensor most likely in the O2 monitor location, and previous owner probably deleted all the evap/EGR system stuff. If he left all the sensors plugged in, MAYBE it could set on its own, but not sure how the sensors would see what they actually need to reset if they are not actually plumbed into the system. Leaving them plugged in will keep a CEL light from popping, but may not set the systems. With DSMLink you can lock the CEL for these issues, but not manually set them "ready".
From what i was to distinguish from all the stuff in the engine bay is that most of the emissions stuff is in there. But I don’t have much knowledge as to what to actually look for. But there is an aem afr sensor in the turbo 02 housing which replaces the original 02 sensor. If I were to replace it back to a stock 02 sensor would it possibly get the sensor to complete?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back