The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Camshaft seals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeclipseFTW

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2009
Lees Summit, Missouri
Noob question.. So I have the camshAft sprokets off and I'm looking to replace my leaking seals... I can just pry them out of the end carefully right? Or do I have to remove the camshafts... I hope not!

pop the valve cover and un bolt the cam caps closest to the cam gears that will make pulling them off a bit easier... i dont think you would even be able to get them out otherwise

You have to remove the cam gears to get the seals on them its one piece, therefore removing the timing belt. Never heard of it any other way.

Right I have the t belt and the cam gears off. Just didn't want to mess with the caps.. So I have to lossen the 4 cap bolts closest to the cam gears? Alright. Is there a sequence I have to tighten them down in?

Your supposed to tighten the caps alittle at a time working from the center journals out. I wonder if I can get away with Just loosening the cam gear end caps.. And then retighten them and be fine...

i have replaced cam seals one more then once... do just what i said.. only remove the last two cam cap(4 bolts) they will be kinda hard to get off so use both hands LOL... once its off slide the new seals on "cup in" and then bolt the caps back on.. do this evenly and slowly no need to rush torque is 14-16 ft lbs which isnt very tight so dont over tighten!

You have to remove the cam gears to get the seals on them its one piece, therefore removing the timing belt. Never heard of it any other way.
cam gear and seals arr not connected nor are they one piece. and you can replace cams or cam seals without having to redo timing

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back