The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Camshaft pits and scratches

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knochgoon24

DSM Wiseman
Jan 29, 2008
Troy, Michigan
I bought some used cams. When the guy I got them from pulled them from his car, he told me they were slightly scratched and that those scratches could be felt with a fingernail. He swore that he would have no worries throwing these in his next engine with the condition they're in. I'm not 100% sure I agree.

Would you run these? What can I do to clean them up a bit? I heard a bit of 600 grit using some WD-40 as lube will work to smooth it out.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These are both Comp 101200's, correct? I'm pretty sure I understand the part number correct. Either that or FP2's. He seemed to think these were a 101100/101200 combo when he sold them to me. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use them, but that is just me.

Take them to a machine shop and see if they can clean them up at all.

do you have a local shop that grinds crankshafts? Use their crank polishing machine and lightly touch the damaged areas, then repost pics.
WOULD NOT USE THEM AS IS

do you have a local shop that grinds crankshafts? Use their crank polishing machine and lightly touch the damaged areas, then repost pics.
WOULD NOT USE THEM AS IS

X2 I would agree.... any machine shop with a crank grinder will be able to polish the jourals

the little divits, dents and scratches will hold oil once they are polished and running

You can also send them to a camshaft company like delta cams to be repaired.

it would be done like polishing a crank... so .001 or less I would guess about $15 a cam

from the scoring, It looks like the head was starved for oil, or the oil was way dirty

it would be done like polishing a crank... so .001 or less I would guess about $15 a cam

from the scoring, It looks like the head was starved for oil, or the oil was way dirty

His car needed new rings. Most of the wear on the cams was done in 27 miles.

I think .001" will be enough to get most of them out. They'll definitely be a lot less pronounced. And $15 a cam isn't too bad at all.

Thanks. :thumb:

too bad ya live soooo far away, looks like a 6pack polish job from here. you can take them under .002 from stock and be safe. The grooves are ok that run with the rotation of the cam, the cross cuts are one to be leery of.

I took the cams to a shop last Thursday. They said they'll take a stone to the pits to take off any rough edges then polish the rest. He suggested I use a plastigauge to test the clearance when I install them and if it's a bit too much, to take 600 grit wet sand paper on glass and take a bit off the cam caps.

He quoted me $15 a cam, but possibly up to $25 if it takes me a while to get the pits cleaned up. I can't complain there.

I should have the cams back early this week. I'll post some new pics up then.

I am not positive if my FP2 had cwc stamped but did have the other set of numbers, not sure what mine are though. Same thing happened to me, the journals where they ride in the head were had a few fine hair line scratches on each journal, I used an emery cloth and it cleaned them right up. But I was paranoid and paid 20 bucks to have one thousandth taken off. Ran them for an additional 1500 miles last fall and I popped the caps off since I was putting her away for winter, and they were fine like I expected.

It would be interesting to see the cam caps on the head those cams came out of and to see how dirty his oil is.

i just had my fp2's mirco polished it was roughly 35 bucks. my fp2 did have cwc on them. but they are either fp2 or comp 100200, since they are pretty much the same

From what I've read, the difference between comp 101200's and fp2's are the centerlines of the cams. So there's no difference if you degree them in. I'm not sure if I'll do that now or not. I don't have the adjustable cam gears or any of the tools to degree them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back