The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Build List. Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmotorsports

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2011
providence, Rhode_Island
Ok guys here is my build list for my 420A. Obviously things are subject to change at any time, but my list seems pretty good.

New factory crank
Eagle H beam rods
Low compression pistons (havent decided yet)
Cams (havent decided)
Some type of upgraded valvetrain...again....undecided
GT35r
Sheet metal intake
FMIC
600cc injectors
Wally 255
Catch can
MSD ignition

Obviously some interior and exterior mods as well. But this is the basic list. What i would like is some information on tuning, engine managment, and basically just some input on the subject. Do's and Dont's, personal experiences and whatnot. Thanks in advance guys.

Think about the low compression.

Your like at 9 or 9.5:1 right???

Well if you down to around 8-8.5:1 your going to lose a noticable amount of off-boost power. Which usually isn't a big deal but, if you got a big turbo on there. Your going to have to really get on it before you go anywhere.

I have to deal with this, with just my stock 14b sometimes.

My old Hyundai used a very small turbo, and while it was very good for city driving, mid-top end wasn't anything to be impressed about. Depends on how you want to drive the car.

Personally I like small low rpm spooling turbos.

i agree. i like a quick spooling turbo as well. so should i keep the stock compression?

Think about a compression ratio somewhere in the range of 8.5 - 8.7. Although I'm stroked, 8.7 feels perfect for me. Just do a little research. It simply depends on when you want boost and how much boost you're going to be running. It really has to have a good balance.

Keep in mind that Cams, port work, exhaust manifolds, and valve size all have noticeable impact on your spool times.

600cc injectors are not going to feed that 35r like AT ALL! Also what are you planning to tune with?

Also Why not use some of the money you're putting into this and just buy yourself a GST or GSX and mod that??? Just curious.

im planning on tuning with a standalone system. and a gst or gsx is too comon in my area. Im a big fan of modding things that you dont see every day. For example I have a 2001 cyber green beetle making 390whp

Think about a compression ratio somewhere in the range of 8.5 - 8.7. Although I'm stroked, 8.7 feels perfect for me. Just do a little research. It simply depends on when you want boost and how much boost you're going to be running. It really has to have a good balance.

Keep in mind that Cams, port work, exhaust manifolds, and valve size all have noticeable impact on your spool times.

this part is honestly were i start to lack knowledge. Ive never really been good at compression and head work. i would like to settle around 20-25psi. and from my understanding, that should be no problem with a built engine

Not at all, however, when you add boost you are increasing compression in those cylinders by mass amounts. You don't want too high of compression based pistons. This increases the risk for things to detonate as you are compressing all of this air and gas into a veeery tiny space.

So i should keep the same compression to compensate for the amount of boost im going to be running. Im thinking 8.5.1 compression? Keep in mind im NOT going to modify the block in any way as far as oversizing. I want to keep the stock bore and stroke.

What transmission do you have? Fill out your profile.

Build the stock block with the turbo and try and push it. That will make sure you have all the auxillary crap built up, and then when the limit is near then build a second block for big power.

That would seem cheaper now.

You are going to have one hell of a turbo lag with that turbo. I would suggest a smaller turbo, bigger duration cam like a 272 set, and I beam rods over H beam. Have them shot peened too. The last thing u want under full boost is to hear a loud pop and start smelling smoke because you now have a rod hanging out the side of your block. Also get a MHG and ARP studs all the way around. Why, because your adding boost, and lifting a head on stock stuff SUCKS. Sheet metal intake is ###### going to be a little overkill for your desires as well.

Have you put any thought into what throttle body your going to run? Also what sensors your going to need for that standalone system? You are likely to need a TPS, IAT, wide band, and possibly a cold start injector depending on the climate your planning to drive it in. You dont want to just throw a huge 90mm TB on your intake because its going to kill your throttle response, but if its to small, your not going to be able to use all that boost you want to make.

Also keep in mind, building an engine isnt about how many PSI you plan to run out of that turbo, but the volume of air your engine and intake system can possibly handle. 600cc injectors will only net you in the neighborhood of about 350whp without boosting the piss out of your fuel pressure.

I would recommend you do a lot more research into what it actually takes to properly build a workable engine. You want something reliable, and I doubt you have a drag racer budget of 3 motors and one breaks every pass, so do some research and revise your list. Also learn some of the tips and tricks to making solid power with minor modifications. Learn how boost effects your engine and how it corrolates to compression ratio's and so on.

Do your research and come back with something refined. Giving us a parts list of will this part work well with this part will do a lot more than a vague outline of what you plan to do. Just a thought. Good luck on your build which ever way you decide to go about it, but do keep us updated. And I mean no disrespect to your outline, but its just way to vague to be workable right now

Wow i appreciate that man. The 420a engine is not really my cup of tea. Thats why i put this post up. I dont really know much about the engine. Ive built a few 4g63 engines, which are a lot simpler. The sheet metal intake manifold was more for looks than anything. Maybe a few extra ponies. Im not looking to build a race car or anything, I just want more power out of it. Like i said though, thank you very much for the input. Please keep it coming!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back