The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Breaking Trailing Arms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongJonSilver

10+ Year Contributor
May 13, 2008
East Brunswick, New_Jersey
I've been searching around but havn't really found an answer on the forum that's satisfied my question. I've broken two rear traling arms in the past year so I bought a traling arm from i think a gs or gst are they the same as a gsx one? thickness/strengthwise because they look excactly the same to me. Also, I've found the megan racing traling arms for sale...Has anyone tried them? I'm looking in the strength aspect. I dont want to spend the money ($200) if they're going to be as strong as a oem one I dont care about adjustibility, just don't want it to break.

Last edited:
I've been searching around but havn't really found an answer on the forum that's satisfied my question. I've broken two rear traling arms in the past year so I bought a traling arm from i think a gs or gst are they the same as a gsx one? thickness/strengthwise because they look excactly the same to me. Also, I've found the megan racing traling arms for sale...Has anyone tried them? I'm looking in the strength aspect. I dont want to spend the money ($200) if they're going to be as strong as a oem one I dont care about adjustibility, just don't want it to break.

So your saying the trailing arms you bought new from the dealership are breaking on you? That's odd.

I would suspect you have something else going on to break one. Did you hit something?

Where are they breaking at?

What are you doing with the car? Road coarse,drag, ect?

Also If you get a arm that is stronger and you have another problem causing this you could very well damage your chassis if you have not already?

On the megan arms. There is little to know really feedback on the items that I have found. It is speculated that with out beefing up the mount you may/could tear the sheet metal where the spherical bearing mates to the chassis because of the increased peak loads this area would see.

I've been just street driving the car (kinda hard). When I broke the first one I didnt notice for a while then I relized it broke off I believe that was caused by launching the car. The trailing arm broke at one of the welds, where the bar meets the circular part that gets bolted to the frame. Then I bought a brand new one from the dealership put that in drove for a few months and I think I broke that one again launching the car or taking a hard turn, not too sure. Again, that trailing arm broke at the weld. Both times it was the trailing arm on the passenger side. I recently bought one off ebay used off an eclipse but I don't remember what model it came off of. I don't know what could be causing this problem because I know other members launch they're cars at the track and don't have this problem right?

Have you checked all the other bushing to make sure they are not all shot and allowing the rear suspension to move around all over the place. Are you getting lots of wheel hop of the launch?
I'm sure people have broke them but I have not seen anything posted on this so I'm betting you have something else wrong. ESP if you drove around for a while with it broken off. That is not good.

the bushings I have are the pollys and they look pretty good to me. There is a good amount of wheel hop when I launch it and I only drove around with the trailing arm broke for like a day or two pretty much just in town.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back