The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

boost leaks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Boooost

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2008
Airdrie, AB_Canada
Hey guys,

I did a boost leak test on my recently rebuilt motor and ended up fixing 7 small leaks, but ive got 2 small leaks that im not sure how to fix or if it would be ok to just leave them.

the first small leak is coming from the side of my 75mm BBK TB where the throttle plate pivots, is there away to fix that or is it just normal? the TB only has about 1000kms on it.

the second small leak is coming from the sight glass on my oil catch can, there is 2 small rubber ends at each end of the sight glass and that is where its leaking out of. do you think this small of a leak would be something to worry about.

thanks for the help

Vern

it's never a good idea to leave them, and you should go get some jb weld LOL

It shouldnt be a huge deal but I would shoot to have 0 boost leaks. The leak at your throttle body sounds like the throttle body shaft seals. I am not familiar with the bbk tb but I am pretty sure it has to be basically the same assembly/parts. Here is a link on how to fix a dsm throttle body shaft seal.
Throttle Body O-Ring
Where do you have your oil catch can? Is it between the breather and intake or between the pcv and intake mani? Just put some jb weld on it anyway, you don't want oil leaking out of it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Ive got the catch can between the pcv and the intake. the second breather coming off the valve cover i installed a K&N breather filter, i never hooked it up to the pcv line from the intake. i was experiencing alot of vaccum, so much that it would make a whistling noise as it sucked air past the oil dipstick.(oil dipstick is brand new with new o ring seas) the noise was load enough that i thought it was a belt squeal. hopefully this set up wont cause me any problems in the long run.

Vern

I would run a catch can in between the breather and the intake pipe. Having a filter on the breather doesn't allow adequate vacuum to the crankcase under boost. Plus what vacuum it does pull in is unmetered air. If you have it hooked back up to the intake then the vacuum it pulls is already been metered by the mas. That would be a good thing.

I've got a Dejon Intake pipe with no outlets on it, what would be the next best set up for the catch can and breather out let? should i run a line from the breather to the catch can then to the intake mani? or should i block off that breather??

thanks for the help

Vern

The best option is to leave the setup like it was stock (as long as you still have a stock mas in the stock location) The filter on the breather port is ok but DO NOT block off the breather port. I had this same scenario when I had a 2g mas Dejon pipe too. I just got a barb fitting at advance then see what the thread pitch is, probably 1/4 npt it is very common. Then go to lowes or home depot and get a 1/4 npt tap. Drill and tap a hole in your intake pipe, then thread the fitting in. It will fit very tight if you tapped the hole. Just for peace of mind I put a tad of jb weld around the fitting to be sure it didnt leak. Then you can run a catch can in that line and have it go back into the intake.

Sounds good, I'll tap in a fitting into my dejon pipe this weekend. when you say
"Then you can run a catch can in that line and have it go back into the intake."
do you mean run a line from the new fitting on the dejon pipe to the catch can and then to the side breather on the valve cover? or run a line from the dejon pipe and then into the intake manifold??

thanks for all the help

Vern

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back