The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Boost Leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livid

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2005
Granville, New_York
I've been running 8 psi on my 420a built motor for about 2 months. I have a stock exhaust at the moment so I didn't want to go higher yet. Lately I've been noticing that I can hear the turbo spooling a lot more clearly than I used to be able to, nothing sounds as tight. It sounds like my exhaust is leaking up near where it connects to the downpipe, but I'm not sure if an exhaust leak would cause this sound or not. It just sounds like a loud spool (high pitched whoosh sound). I guess my only solution is to install the 3" exhaust I was planning on getting and seeing if that fixes the problem? I'm just scared to damage by turbo between now and then. Any suggestions?

Exhaust is a must, fix that first and with a built motor put a highflow cat or test pipe in there immediately if you want to really let your car breathe.
When your boosting, is your car holding boost at 8psi constantly? is it spiking or anything?

Exahust should have been the very first upgrade if you planned on going turbo, because your really killing the turbo heat wise. So fix that asap.

Livid said:
I've been running 8 psi on my 420a built motor for about 2 months. I have a stock exhaust at the moment so I didn't want to go higher yet. Lately I've been noticing that I can hear the turbo spooling a lot more clearly than I used to be able to, nothing sounds as tight. It sounds like my exhaust is leaking up near where it connects to the downpipe, but I'm not sure if an exhaust leak would cause this sound or not. It just sounds like a loud spool (high pitched whoosh sound). I guess my only solution is to install the 3" exhaust I was planning on getting and seeing if that fixes the problem? I'm just scared to damage by turbo between now and then. Any suggestions?

i would say the exhaust leaking would cause the spooling sound to be louder, drop the exhaust from the catback and take it for a quick spin and see if you notice a difference in hearing the turbo spool. the bolts popped off my dp to cat after install and i could hear the thing spool even with the music on now, the music's gotta be off or pretty low to hear it. unless if your going with a 3" turbo back, just a catback isn't gonna fix that leak so i hope your planning on fixing that separately or going 3" all the way. I would definetly get the exhaust though b/c you've already got the built engine, now you need the exhaust before you turn up the boost

alright guys thanks. I got a custom DP might only be 2 1/2" but I'll replace it to 3". Also, I never really thought about that overheating the turbo, thanks for the input!

it shouldn't, i think he just wanted to make sure

Yeah, restricted exhaust is definately worse then running it open. A bigger exahust is definately a priorty, I'm surprised he didn't have it on before he went turbo, or at least pick up a GST exhaust.

To honest, I thought I already had a catback exhaust, didnt realize it till after the turbo was on. I'm not the original owner of this car, it has a aftermarket muffler, I just always thought it was the full catback till I looked under the car.

instead of getting a full catback system you could get a cutout. i just got mine on today. the pipe cost me around 25 dollars shipped and it welded in perfect in front of the cat. it sounds cool too. not legal on the street though :shhh:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back