The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Body Hardware, Cowl and Interior

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Testosteroni84

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2009
Drammen, Europe
I live in Norway.
The 2nd generation Eclipse was never imported by Mitsubishi Motors in my country.

All of the cars you find over here have been imported by private persons or car dealers.
There are not many of these cars here either.

The years have gone by and some parts on my 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T are quite weather-beaten.
Everything that is damaged or worn is going to be refurbished or replaced.

For example, some plastic parts have been broken and I must get hold of replacements.
I have a hard time finding some of these, even on eBay.

One of the most important parts to get replaced is what is called "garnish, air inlet" by Mitsubishi.
Both of these have broken ends (see photographs below).

It is important that the replacement parts look as good as new.
Do you guys have any suggestions as to who is the best source for such parts?

Attachments

• Air Inlet Garnish LH 1.jpg
    Air Inlet Garnish LH 1.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 347
  • Air Inlet Garnish LH 2.jpg
    Air Inlet Garnish LH 2.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Air Inlet Garnish RH 1.jpg
    Air Inlet Garnish RH 1.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Air Inlet Garnish RH 2.jpg
    Air Inlet Garnish RH 2.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
This is very interesting.
Are those studs on each side a part of the mold?

The damaged vents I pulled from a 1997 Spyder are designed differently.
There are screws on each side instead of those plastic studs.
I guess they made the change because those would easily break if one had to do some maintenance/repairs requiring removal of those parts.

These are the ones in the best condition I have been offered so far.
Can you see if there are any part numbers on them?

The plastic studs at the ends of each vent are what held it in place. There were small metal clips attached to each of them that were one time use as they had to be bent in order to remove without damaging the post. You can see how it sits in the part under the door panel here:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Part numbers are MB899011 - LH and MB899012 - RH

The plastic studs at the ends of each vent are what held it in place. There were small metal clips attached to each of them that were one time use as they had to be bent in order to remove without damaging the post. You can see how it sits in the part under the door panel here:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Part numbers are MB899011 - LH and MB899012 - RH

Well, this is interesting.

The part numbers on the damaged vents I have from the 97 Spyder donor car are MR190593 (LH) and MR190592 (RH).
They have metal screws instead of those plastic studs.
I have attached a photograph.
The Mitsubishi catalog says the part numbers are MR761383 (LH) and MR761385 (RH) for a 97 Spyder however.

I am getting more and more confused.

Attachments

• Air Inlet Garnish 97 Spyder.jpg
    Air Inlet Garnish 97 Spyder.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 125
Well, this is interesting.

The part numbers on the damaged vents I have from the 97 Spyder donor car are MR190593 (LH) and MR190592 (RH).
They have metal screws instead of those plastic studs.
I have attached a photograph.
The Mitsubishi catalog says the part numbers are MR761383 (LH) and MR761385 (RH) for a 97 Spyder however.

I am getting more and more confused.

Other than the mounting mechanism, the pieces you pulled from the 97 Spyder look identical.

How sturdy are those plastic studs?
They appear to be damaged already and they look like they can break quite easily.
I am going to remove the air inlet vents and install them again when my interior panels are being refinished.
That is why I would prefer these parts in the revised design that has the metal screws and those are also 100% correct for my VIN.

How sturdy are those plastic studs?
They appear to be damaged already and they look like they can break quite easily.
I am going to remove the air inlet vents and install them again when my interior panels are being refinished.
That is why I would prefer these parts in the revised design that has the metal screws and those are also 100% correct for my VIN.

They were definitely not designed with removal and replacement in mind. I was as careful as possible in removing them from the car at the u-pull, and a lot of the damage seen to the posts was already present before I began the removal process (must've occurred during installation at the factory). I could definitely see these posts snapping off if you were to try and manhandle the parts during installation.

They were definitely not designed with removal and replacement in mind. I was as careful as possible in removing them from the car at the u-pull, and a lot of the damage seen to the posts was already present before I began the removal process (must've occurred during installation at the factory). I could definitely see these posts snapping off if you were to try and manhandle the parts during installation.

This is probably the reason for the revised design with the metal screws.

Your car has red door panels and you're concerned about getting the exact color match?

Exact color match with what?!

I am still looking for a pair of these air inlet vents in gray or black (no broken pieces or hairline cracks).
I am primarily after the revised design that has the metal screws instead of the plastic studs.

The part numbers according to the Mitsubishi parts catalog are:
MR761383 (Gray, LH)
MR761385 (Gray, RH)
MR780740 (Black, LH)
MR780741 (Black, RH)

Miller Import Parts are unable to help me.
Performance Partout have so far not responded to my inquiry.

I am also looking for a pair of seat belt guides in gray or black in the same condition.
I am not sure if these were ever made in black.
The situation is the same with these.
The part numbers for the gray ones are MR139050 (LH) and MR139053 (RH).

I am beginning to understand that finding these parts in the condition I am looking for is hopeless unless they come right out of the factory box.

I have just went through every single search result on Google for these part numbers again.
It took me hours.
I have found only one dealer in the USA that can provide the parts I need and in NOS condition.
It is almost too good to be true and I still can not believe it.

Unfortunately, they do not ship internationally.
Therefore, I am requesting help from fellow forum members.

Please send me a PM if you can help me get these parts.

Attachments

• Seat Belt Holder LH.jpg
    Seat Belt Holder LH.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Seat Belt Holder RH.jpg
    Seat Belt Holder RH.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
So I compiled a list containing all of the part numbers of interest and sent it to the dealer.
It turned out more than 80% of the parts were not available, including the most important ones.
The dealer said the website is a third party site and that they do not have access to the manufacturer's stock list so they have no way to update it.
What a joke!
Quite amazing that people who run such a website do not care to make a proper system so a potential customer is not misinformed.
I guess what I can take from this is that when something is too good to be true, it usually is.

There is still hope though.
I found a dealer in Germany who has just confirmed they have a lot of the parts.
Now I am just hoping they can ship to me.
It looks like I have to order some of the parts from Japan as well!

From some google searching, mitsubishipartssource.com (part number search on top right) seems to have these parts, at least it shows them being available.

If they really do have them, I'd be happy to take shipment of these in the states, and send them over to you when I'm in Germany in September. Let me know if you'd like me to look into it a bit further. I can call them up and confirm parts are really there, just let me know which ones.

Alternatively, if the German dealer won't ship to Norway, I could have them sent to family in Germany and forward them on to you

From some google searching, mitsubishipartssource.com (part number search on top right) seems to have these parts, at least it shows them being available.

If they really do have them, I'd be happy to take shipment of these in the states, and send them over to you when I'm in Germany in September. Let me know if you'd like me to look into it a bit further. I can call them up and confirm parts are really there, just let me know which ones.

Alternatively, if the German dealer won't ship to Norway, I could have them sent to family in Germany and forward them on to you

Well, you hit the jackpot there.
I did not want to call out anyone by name, but that is the dealer/website I have just wasted hours on.

Thank you for being willing to help me.
I will let you know as soon as I hear back from the dealer in Germany.

Last edited:
Was at the yard today and managed to grab a grey drivers side vent with screw bosses and no cracks. Passenger side was unfortunately cracked.

Came off of an avenger. Part number on the part itself is MR190592, same as those from your 97 spyder donor...Mopar parts giant also lists them as MR761383.

Weird that the part number on the part and in the catalog are different.

A RH side grey is on ebay at the moment:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mopar-...350667&hash=item4d7589e34e:g:BZAAAOSwCRRbII1b

so between the one I grabbed and this one, you'd have both in Grey

Was at the yard today and managed to grab a grey drivers side vent with screw bosses and no cracks. Passenger side was unfortunately cracked.

Came off of an avenger. Part number on the part itself is MR190592, same as those from your 97 spyder donor...Mopar parts giant also lists them as MR761383.

A RH side grey is on ebay at the moment:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Mopar-...350667&hash=item4d7589e34e:g:BZAAAOSwCRRbII1b

so between the one I grabbed and this one, you'd have both in Grey

Thank you for grabbing that part and offering it to me.

I also noticed that part on eBay and the strange fact that the part number on the part itself does not match with the packaging.
It is the first one I have seen on eBay since I started searching.
Unfortunately, the seller does not ship internationally as seems to be the norm for U.S. sellers offering car parts on eBay.
I have been trying to get most of the parts from the same place.
However, it looks like I might have to buy one part here and one part there if the couple of sources I have right now (Germany and Japan) do not come through.

Would you be able to send me a photograph of the vent?

Of course. Photos should be attached.

Also, As I mentioned, if Germany doesn't come through, I'm happy to take delivery of the part on Ebay and bring it over in September to get around the US only shipping issue.

Attachments

• 20180711_161136.jpg
    20180711_161136.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20180711_161203.jpg
    20180711_161203.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180711_161144.jpg
    20180711_161144.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 94
Thank you!

Does anyone know if Performance Partout is still in business?
I am starting to wonder as I e-mailed them on June 24 and I have sent them two follow-ups since then.
I have heard absolutely nothing back.
Utterly disappointing to say the least.

Do you know the trim level and year of that Avenger?
It would be interesting to know.

Does anyone know if Performance Partout is still in business?
I am starting to wonder as I e-mailed them on June 24 and I have sent them two follow-ups since then.
I have heard absolutely nothing back.
Utterly disappointing to say the least.

They are, I visit there regularly as they're local to me. Actually kinda surprised you haven't hear back from them as Nate (owner) is always on his computer replying back to requests and fulfilling orders. I know the last 2g they brought in was pretty well trashed, but they may have brought more in since my last visit (roughly 2 weeks ago).

I'd suggest giving them a call - 908-362-6269. They're open M-F 9-5 EST.

I understand.
I just wanted to be certain as I know things can happen fast in the automotive business.

I have just heard back from the source I thought was located in Japan as all of their in stock parts I checked said "Japanese Warehouse" next to the price.
I had also sent them that list of part numbers.
It turns out the customer service are Russian and they have warehouses in Japan, Singapore, USA, UAE and Russia.
They were the only dealer who were offering both of the seat belt guides (MR139050 and MR139053) on their website in addition to a dealer in the USA I have never heard back from.
It turned out more than 80% of the parts were not available, including the seat belt guides.
Unbelievable!
Why is it so hard for these dealers to update their website?!

Those vents are extreme fragile as they are so old hard plastic. They usually break up when removing them. Same is with door panels where window switches are. I just use epoxy glue to fill missing parts and coat them with vinylpaint. Aint perfect but better than nothing i quess.

It is absolutely horrible.
Someone used vinyl paint on those vents.
After a while it started flaking.
That is why I would never use it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back