The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Blown tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
So my rear passenger tire just blew on me and I was wondering if I can just get one tire or do I have to replace all four bc of the differentials

You can just replace the blown tire but it would be best to replace both rear tires so that they wear evenly.

Assuming this is FWD you can run different size tires in the rear only, if you are on a budget. AWD tires need to match and the front tires on FWD need to match. I have seen new tires of different brands with same size have different circumference.

FWD use open diffs. I don't think the tires need to be exactly the same size left to right. AWD viscous couple center diff is why matching tires are needed.

Also if the car still has working ABS, different tires as in different rubber compounds, tread width, etc will potentially increase stopping distances

If the new tire is the same size and has similar wear it'll be fine. A change in tire pressure or weight transfer is enough to change the tire's rolling radius anyways.

How/why did that particular tire blow?
How worn are the remaining tires?
How old are they?

Be mindful when shopping for used tires. Pay particular attention to the date codes. I wouldn't personally purchase anything over three years old depending on the application I am purchasing it for. I would also prefer a complete set of 4 as that is how they are usually sold anyway. You can also get them at a better cost-per-tire.

How/why did that particular tire blow?
How worn are the remaining tires?
How old are they?
these are some good questions to answer before you guy a single tire. with AWD if you have different size tires you run the risk of damaging the diff ( depending o the sensitivity). if you have 3 tires of the same diameter and one odd ball then you run the risk of damaging either your drive train or tires. with an AWD drive train all 4 tires will want to rotate at the same speed, if you through in a bigger tire then it will rotate faster then the other 3, and with a smaller tire it will rotate slower. if you exaggerate the size difference, with a larger tire you will basically be dragging that tire accost the road. with a tire smaller then the other 3, the smaller tire will want to do a burn out as you drive down the road. the down side to AWD is that all 4 tires have to be the same diameter. if you can find 1 used tire with the same dimensions and similar tire wear you will be fine, regardless of the brand and tire compound makeup.

depending on funds there is really only 2 choices you have here which are:

A: buy a similar size tire with similar tire ware and save up for some new rubber till you can afford 4 new ones.

B: go ahead and buy 4 new tires now. if going this route i personally suggest discounttiredirect.com (not discounttire.com, make sure the direct is in the URL) and call to order, dont order online. they will ship where you want (IE. a shop that can mount your tires) and you get free shipping on all orders. also there warranty is about the best out there. this site is awesome, and customer service is a 10 out of 10. if blown 3 tire on 4 vehicles for various reasons and as long as you have 1/32 tread left they replaced each tire with out question. Tires ive replaced were 2 37" Nitto trail grappler M/T's due to the fact that i put a hole in the side wall while trail riding. along with 2 street tires because of a defect and a large nail. call them up on all 4 occasions and with in a few minutes a new tire was on the way.

damn sorry if this post was a long read. ive been drinking and i tend to get a bit long winded. however the info is still accurate...GO EAGLES!!!!

these are some good questions to answer before you guy a single tire. with AWD if you have different size tires you run the risk of damaging the diff ( depending o the sensitivity). if you have 3 tires of the same diameter and one odd ball then you run the risk of damaging either your drive train or tires. with an AWD drive train all 4 tires will want to rotate at the same speed, if you through in a bigger tire then it will rotate faster then the other 3, and with a smaller tire it will rotate slower. if you exaggerate the size difference, with a larger tire you will basically be dragging that tire accost the road. with a tire smaller then the other 3, the smaller tire will want to do a burn out as you drive down the road. the down side to AWD is that all 4 tires have to be the same diameter. if you can find 1 used tire with the same dimensions and similar tire wear you will be fine, regardless of the brand and tire compound makeup.

depending on funds there is really only 2 choices you have here which are:

A: buy a similar size tire with similar tire ware and save up for some new rubber till you can afford 4 new ones.

B: go ahead and buy 4 new tires now. if going this route i personally suggest discounttiredirect.com (not discounttire.com, make sure the direct is in the URL) and call to order, dont order online. they will ship where you want (IE. a shop that can mount your tires) and you get free shipping on all orders. also there warranty is about the best out there. this site is awesome, and customer service is a 10 out of 10. if blown 3 tire on 4 vehicles for various reasons and as long as you have 1/32 tread left they replaced each tire with out question. Tires ive replaced were 2 37" Nitto trail grappler M/T's due to the fact that i put a hole in the side wall while trail riding. along with 2 street tires because of a defect and a large nail. call them up on all 4 occasions and with in a few minutes a new tire was on the way.

damn sorry if this post was a long read. ive been drinking and i tend to get a bit long winded. however the info is still accurate...GO EAGLES!!!!
No don't apologize! This is good info! 2 things though, 1st smaller tire=faster, bigger tire=slower. The larger circumference means it takes longer to complete one revolution at a given road speed. Ergo it is rotating slower. Tire circumference should be within a 1/4 inch of each other. This is a safe agreed upon number. 2nd thing is with the second bolded statement. The dragging or burnout effect has more to do with torque transfer under a load in an open diff, where the smaller tire would be easier to break loose assuming both tires have equal grip on the surface. This is because that tire has the same effect as shorter gearing. It takes less torque to spin and therefore in an open diff, the power will be transferred there, causing a burnout on the small tire and a dragging condition on the larger one that is not receiving power anymore. The reason the tires must be the same circumference in an AWD car of out drivetrain type is that it could heat up the viscous coupling and cause it to try to lock but it cant since the tires are spinning at different speeds and it heats up the viscous coupling for an extended period of time causing it damage. An exaggerated version of this would be a tow truck pulling this same car in neutral with only 2 tires on the ground (front or rear). Sorry I get a little long winded when I'm sober :p

No don't apologize! This is good info! 2 things though, 1st smaller tire=faster, bigger tire=slower. The larger circumference means it takes longer to complete one revolution at a given road speed. Ergo it is rotating slower. Tire circumference should be within a 1/4 inch of each other. This is a safe agreed upon number. 2nd thing is with the second bolded statement. The dragging or burnout effect has more to do with torque transfer under a load in an open diff, where the smaller tire would be easier to break loose assuming both tires have equal grip on the surface. This is because that tire has the same effect as shorter gearing. It takes less torque to spin and therefore in an open diff, the power will be transferred there, causing a burnout on the small tire and a dragging condition on the larger one that is not receiving power anymore. The reason the tires must be the same circumference in an AWD car of out drivetrain type is that it could heat up the viscous coupling and cause it to try to lock but it cant since the tires are spinning at different speeds and it heats up the viscous coupling for an extended period of time causing it damage. An exaggerated version of this would be a tow truck pulling this same car in neutral with only 2 tires on the ground (front or rear). Sorry I get a little long winded when I'm sober :p

HAHA. well all i know about the speed thing is with a larger tire you will be going faster then your speedo says. only reason i know is that when i went from 30in tires to 35in tiers my speed was about 15% more then indicated. Either way i agree with you that different size tires is bad. LOL

HAHA. well all i know about the speed thing is with a larger tire you will be going faster then your speedo says. only reason i know is that when i went from 30in tires to 35in tiers my speed was about 15% more then indicated. Either way i agree with you that different size tires is bad. LOL
LOL yes you will be going faster than the speedo reads but the tire will be rotating slower than a smaller tire at the same indicated speed.

If possible get a used tire of the exact same brand and model of the other 3. I've put exact same size tires of different brands next to each other and visually seen a difference. +1 to discount tire direct. They're your best bet.

What size is your spare? Is it different than the original tires. I only ask because it wouldnt make sense for the manufacturer to provide a tire that will screw up the all wheel drive. If you cant afford a new tire just be smart buying used. Look for even tread wear and no broken belts in the tire. Dont need anothet one blowing out on you. If you have to buy a tire new or used just match the size to the rest of your tires i.e., 16" all the way around for example.

What size is your spare? Is it different than the original tires. I only ask because it wouldnt make sense for the manufacturer to provide a tire that will screw up the all wheel drive. If you cant afford a new tire just be smart buying used. Look for even tread wear and no broken belts in the tire. Dont need anothet one blowing out on you. If you have to buy a tire new or used just match the size to the rest of your tires i.e., 16" all the way around for example.
He's not on stock sized rims and I doubt he has his spare still.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back