The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

blowing smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolwata34

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
berlin, Connecticut
hey guys.. i been doing my research.. and well i just cant seem to find the issue.... it all started the other day i pinned the tach at about 7k and dropped the cluthch.. yea i left about 60 ft of tread. but now im blowing serius smoke.. i took apart the head my valve guides where loose.. and my seals were gone.. today i put the head on it.. got the timing all good, and once again on deceleration im smoking pretty bad.. i pulled the intake pipe(S) and theres not alot of oil, but there is some... but when i had a blown turbo before there was more oil in the pipes and less smoke coming out the rear... when i had the head pulled i checked the cyclinder walls.. no scareing or marks, u can still see the hone marks from when the motor was rebuilt...is it possible i do have a blown turbo but instead of the oil going in the intake pipes its just feeding into the exhaust?

I would say pull your downpipe off your O2 housing and see if it's clean or what. That will let you know.
-Donny

any help would be appreciated guys... changed the pcv today and still nothing

By pulling your downpipe off and seeing what's inside of it you'll be able to tell if your loosing oil/coolant out of your turbo.
-Donny

ok pulled off the downpipe no oil or anything in there no wet ness nothing.. did however play with the shaft play a little bit.. not sure if its too much... i checked my old turbo and had diffrent opinions and they all said that my older turbo had more shaft play.. but tom im gonna try to put a new turbo in it and if it works it works if not im back to square 1

what color is the smoke? If its black its running rich, and if its white its for sure a blown turbo, at least everytime in my experience... But, cant imagine dropping the clutch would blow a turbo...:confused:

blowing blueish white smoke.. i pulled the dp and it was pretty dry... no wetness or anything just alot of carbon.. i am running REALY rich.i have a little oil in my intake to turbo pipe... and im recirculting the bov..... i do have some shaft play in my turbo... i compared it to my other blown turbo and had diffrent people play with the shaft play, and they all said it felt like my spare blown turbo had more shaft play then the one thats on my car now...and when that turbo blew i wasnt blowing nearly as much smoke as i am now

coolwata34, please use proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization when posting in tech sections, thank you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back