The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G blowing smoke?whats wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurricanecris24

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
NORCAL, California
Okay so I bought a 98 gsx with 100,000 miles last week drove 2 hours away to pick it up and as I was driving it back home on the freeway I was like 5 minutes away it started smoking bad my brother was driving behind me so he started flashing his lights, as soon as I noticed it I pulled over and turned it off and haven't started it since, weird part is the car was running fine, temperature gauge was half way, but oil pressure gauge was all over the place but whp knows how accurate the stock gauges. I drained oil was dark but a little brown maybe coolant mixed? Drained coolant no oil in it. Spark plugs are dry, turbo has like an eighth of an inch side to side play. So does it sound like headgasket or turbo? Also when I pulled over that night noticed it was leaking oil from under the turbo but couldnt see where it was coming from also under the hood it smelt like burnt popcorn? Car has stock motor, hks bov, greddy fmic, stock t25

Last edited:
if turbo has play and was smoking bad, the oil seal in the turbo could be shot. blades touching the housing?

Yea that turbo has way too much play in it. Plugs look good. You should have test drove it first and foremost and especially checked it on the freeway. I hope its just your turbo. What does the smoke smell like?

Hmm. While the turbo is in definite need of attention (way too much play in it), usually white cloudy smoke is associated more with coolant making its way into the chambers (bad head gasket, cracked head)... Especially the white cloudy smoke that does not dissipate quickly in air. Check your intake piping between the turbo and throttle body and see if there's an excessive amount of oil in there. That will let you know if your turbo is causing the smoke (pushing oil into your chambers where it will burn and smoke).

Turbo's junk.

Also curious as to why there's oil in the #4 exhaust port. Oil doesn't travel backwards in the exhaust system, so that may be independent of the turbo issue.

If you're keeping the car somewhat-stock, I highly recommend upgrading to no larger than a Small 16G. Evo III 16G's are plagued with boost creep issues that you do not want to have if you're on the stock fuel system.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back