The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Blowing smoke after boosting and going into vacuum.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakk220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2010
Akron, Ohio
So a while back I had my brand new holset HX40 take a crap on me (it was just dumping oil in my exhaust) and sent it out to @JusMX141 to be rebuilt. It was unclear of the cause of failure but he said it was possibly high EGT's. (I used to tune it at 12.5 AFR on E85, but eventually Kenny tuned it and richened it up to 11.5. But maybe the damage was already done) So I put the new turbo on it and park it for winter.

Flash forward to now.

After boosting and letting off the gas or shifting into a lower gear, this thing DUMPS blue smoke out the back. Once it burns off it goes away. At first I thought it was residual oil from when I blew the turbo. But its not going away.

l don't get a single puff while boosting, idle, or crusing. Only as soon as I let off after boosting. I have no idea what's causing it, but I wanted to see if maybe a defective turbo seal was a possibility. Because the car never had ANY smoke until right after it blew and was replaced. Not even a puff.

Cold compression test: 205....165.....170.....185
--- I will be doing a hot test soon and a leakdown
--- New PCV valve
--- Oil drain is not kinked. 12AN.
--- Head was serviced about 2k miles ago with supertech seals.
--- Im working on getting a catch can set up but never thought I needed it as I didn't have much blow by. I doubt this is the cause because it went from no smoke to a ton.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for me to check before I go out on a limb and send the turbo to Justin to have him check it over. Thanks.

Last edited:
So I finally have an update on this. I did a leak down and all the results came back 10-13% loss all from the pcv valve and dipstick. Which I am under the impression that this is normal.

I also did another compression test. Results were

Cylinder 1: 205
Cylinder 2: 175
Cylinder 3: 175
Cylinder 4: 183

I also bore scoped the pistons and all of them appeared to be dry except for Cylinder 1. It wasn't soaked, but did appear wet. Cylinder 4 was questionable and maybe slightly wet. This was done with the car at operating temperature.

I'm assuming that it's safe to say it's time to replace the valve seals even though they are new haha. I think I'm going to attempt to do them with the engine on the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back