The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Blow off valve question 2g to 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxboost1010

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 27, 2008
Ann Arbor, Michigan
98 GSX
Ok I want to switch my BOV from my 2g, where can I get a cheap 1g BOV new from? If I buy a used one will that be fine do they hold up ok? Now most important question I thin the housing where my 2g BOV sits on is cracked and since I think I need an adapter for the 1g anyways would this one work and serve both my purposes as an adapter and at the same time replace the plastic housing the 2g is sitting on?

eBay Motors: 2.75" Blow Off Valve Adapter Flange Pipe Universal BOV (item 140217393233 end time Mar-23-08 14:02:41 PDT)

I'd get a used BOV off of eBay or from the classifieds. You should be able to find one for around $20-$25 and maybe some shipping. Get one that's uncrushed (you can raise the level of boost it can hold by literally crushing it, but some folks mess up and overcrush it...play it safe).

If your UICP flange is cracked, I'd be worried about boost leaks. I forgot to look at your profile, but if you have an aftermarket air filter already, you might want to take this opportunity to upgrade your UICP. If you still have the stock filter, remove it and look at the pathetic UICP that hides underneath. If you can afford it, I'd get a filter, UICP flanged for 1g BOV, and the 1g BOV. If you're modding your car, you'll want to do those upgrades anyway. I mention the filter, because the stock airbox is in the way of any upgraded UICP you can buy (the reason the stock UICP sucks is that the plastic has been molded to fit under the airbox which makes a major restriction in airflow through that pipe).

But if you intend on going with a FMIC in the near future, the charge piping would be completely different, so the UICP for the side-mount would not be necessary.

Maybe you can fix the crack somehow and hold off on an UICP upgrade until later.

Anyway, sorry for the not-so-simple answer, but those are definitely some things to consider.

Who sells that UICP flange and that filter,do you have a website that I may be able to go too. Also will I still need to get an adapter for the 1g bov if I upgrade the UPIC piping like you suggest? Thanks

Who sells that UICP flange and that filter,do you have a website that I may be able to go too. Also will I still need to get an adapter for the 1g bov if I upgrade the UPIC piping like you suggest? Thanks

I got my K&N FIPK G2 off of eBay...forget the vendor, though, been two years.

I got my UICP and LICP from Dejon. You can get it flanged for either Greddy or 1g BOV, so you wouldn't need an adapter. There are three pipes you *can* buy: LICP between the turbo and side-mount intercooler, upper intercooler pipe that goes from the side-mount outlet to about where the BOV flange is, and then there's the s-pipe that continues from the BOV area to the throttle body. I believe you can use the UICP with the stock s-pipe, and you can get the other pipes later if you want them...the stock ones aren't too bad. So if you get the Dejon UICP (DEJON Catalog Home Page product UIP-2gA). Just make sure you get it flanged for a 1g BOV. I don't like the s-pipe design, because it replaces the throttle body elbow. The TB elbow is bolted onto the TB using the same bolts that hold the TB onto the intake mani, so if you unbolt the TB elbow, you unbolt the TB. That will almost certainly cause boost leaks at the TB gaskets (on each side of the TB) which you'll need to address (RTV on both sides of the existing gasket worked fine for me). But any time you remove the s-pipe in the future, you may have the same problem with TB gasket leaks. One solution I've been considering is to cut the S-pipe into two pieces and join it with a coupler. Problem is that you need to have the ends at the cut beaded so that a coupler has something to grab on.

There are other UICP and LICP pipe kits, but I know for a fact that this one will fit perfectly with the K&N filter (and probably other cone filters). I bought a different pipe kit first, and nothing fit...and I never got my money back. So if you decide to go with something else, make sure you know it'll work before you buy it.

What do you think about eBay Motors: DSM Dejon Style 1G upper intercooler piping UICP ABS (item 270221938604 end time Mar-28-08 22:48:28 PDT) would that work for my needs, and also my car is currently stock so it still has the stock airbox. If I was to get this piping kit would it replace the stopck UICP and work fine with my other stock parts?

That's a 1g UICP. You have a 2g. It might work, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to. Unless someone chimes in and can verify that a 1g pipe works on a 2g, I'd keep shopping. But remember; I went that route and got burned; NONE of the pipes fit. You had to relocate or otherwise modify your fuse box, and it still didn't fit. The angles were wrong. Uness you can find someone who installed the same unit without problems, you're gambling.

I replaced my air filter box with a cone filter when I replaced the charge pipes, so I'm not sure what all you'd have to do with the airbox. But I'm almost 100% positive that you'd have to hack the corner of the stock airbox in order to get the pipe to fit; the stock UICP is a horrible, smashed shape just because it has to sneak around the stock airbox. Either they didn't realize the fit issue when they designed the 2gs or they reused a box from another car to save money. They could've changed the mold of the lower half of the airbox and made a good UICP, but they didn't, so we get to deal with it.

Aside from the airbox, I didn't have to modify anything else. I put the K&N filter kit on, charge pipes, 1g BOV, fixed all of the boost leaks, and it worked.

Go to your local junkyard and roam around till you find one. They usually go quick. After you got a 1g BOV, if you want to keep your stock piping, go with a flange that'll bolt on to the stock piping like I did. I love it.

Ok I just found and bought a 1g crushed bov for $25. So now I need to know which direction to go in. So couple question meliketoball are you talking about something like what robbo185 said Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: DSM :: Turbo Accessories :: BOV Flanges :: SBR :: Mitsubishi Evo 8/2G Eclipse to 1G Old School BOV Adapter ? if so did you go with that one or is they another one I can get for cheaper? Other then that do you guys have prices and maybe the correct part number for a UICP that would work on my 2g with the 1g adapter already their? See my thing is I want to replace the piping for it but I need some more info in exactly whats involved, can I get away with just replacing the UIPC and will it work with the rest of the piping or what? Will I also have to replace the stock filter box to a KNN filter kit? Basically what parts do I need and what will make it work?

Ok I just found and bought a 1g crushed bov for $25. So now I need to know which direction to go in. So couple question meliketoball are you talking about something like what robbo185 said Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: DSM :: Turbo Accessories :: BOV Flanges :: SBR :: Mitsubishi Evo 8/2G Eclipse to 1G Old School BOV Adapter ? if so did you go with that one or is they another one I can get for cheaper? Other then that do you guys have prices and maybe the correct part number for a UICP that would work on my 2g with the 1g adapter already their? See my thing is I want to replace the piping for it but I need some more info in exactly whats involved, can I get away with just replacing the UIPC and will it work with the rest of the piping or what? Will I also have to replace the stock filter box to a KNN filter kit? Basically what parts do I need and what will make it work?
25 is pretty good coming from that vendor. I got mine off a seller on Ebay and can into problems. It wasn't tig welded, it was JB welded, it was spray painted and the seller sent me the wrong part! haha. I say from that vender, you're getting a good deal. As for the UICP, you can get them all over from Dejon to whereever just look at the vendors that the site has put on as reputable. :thumb: Good luck!

$25 is a good price for the 1g BOV, but you have the potential issue of it being over-crushed. Maybe not, but it's a possibility. So is getting a bum uncrushed 1g BOV, so maybe it's no more of a risk.

That's the correct adapter, but I've never seen one cheaper than around $25.

If you'd just get off your butt ;) and pull the stock airbox out and look at the stock UICP that's crammed underneath it, you'll see why folks upgrade. I should go take a pic...I'll do that...and put it next to an upgraded unit. Maybe I can convince you. But I don't think it's possible for the stock airbox to fit with a "good" UICP at a minimum without having to cut the airbox up (and that might not be possible...don't know for sure).

But you can get a cheap cone filter and adapter to connect it to the stock MAS. I saw a MAS adapter for $15 on eBay today. Then you just need the cone filter. Or you can spring for ~$125 for a K&N FIPK Gen2 that comes with a lifetime warranty and CARB sticker (for Cali smog-nazis).

It just seems wrong to spend $25 on a stepping-stone part (won't need it once you upgrade the UICP).

I'll go take the pics now and upload them in a minute.

Here are the pics. First, look at the stock vs. Dejon UICP. Notice the horrible flat, triple-bend in the stock piece. Those are pics 1 and 2.

Next picture shows the UICP coming up through the sheet metal and passing *right next to* the K&N FIPK and under the fuse box.

Next shows where the UICP connects to the BOV.

Then another shot of the BOV (I sanded it nice and shiney and painted it with Krylon black gloss).

Finally, the S-pipe couples to the UICP and goes to the TB. The TB elbow is deleted by the Dejon Spipe which is a PITA, since you have to unbolt the TB bolts to take it off and can't BLT at the TB elbow. But I haven't had to; leak-free for 9k miles. (knock on wood).

:thumb:

Attachments

• Dejon_vs_Stock_UICP2.JPG
    Dejon_vs_Stock_UICP2.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,066
  • Dejon_vs_Stock_UICP.JPG
    Dejon_vs_Stock_UICP.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,912
  • Filter_UICP.JPG
    Filter_UICP.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 4,115
  • UICP_BOV.JPG
    UICP_BOV.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 5,400
  • 1gBOV.JPG
    1gBOV.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 4,666
  • SPipe.JPG
    SPipe.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 4,131
Thanks those are some great pictures I have a much better idea now, now I just have to price out how much everything will run me and then decide. Two more questions, if later on I won't to change form a 1g bov to a different bov like greedy or something will I still be able to use the dejon UICP, will I have to drill out some holes or something? Also I was looking at the DEJON | Powerhouse under 2nd generation then Intake pipe and looking at the motor with the red inter cooler piping (2nd from last pic on the page), I was wondering what type of piping setup are they using? Is that like a GM MAF or something after the BOV in the pic and what is the advantage to that setup over the other?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Maxboost1010: Yeah, thats the GM MAF blow through set-up. If you can notice, the BOV isn't recirculated and again if you notice ours, out of the factory they are tuned to be recirculated. Dejon is a good company but, if you're on a budget, go with that ebay one. Comes with upper, middle and lower pipes for the stock SMIC all for 115 shipped.

Thanks, I'll look closely at the eBay one also. Now on a blow through set-up can you have it recirculated through the dump tube or is that not an option? What is the advantage to going with a blow through set-up? If I want to go that route then what would you guys recommend for a Greddy BOV and why? What do I need to watch out for if I buy a used Greddy BOV? See my thing is I want to slowly build this car up as I get money so my other question is If I went with the Dejon pipe setup like "kenamond" has or the blow through setup like in the above pic if in the unfortunate event something happened to my 7 bolt stock engine and I switched to a 6 bolt would I still be able to use the bov and piping I go with?

You can either recirculate or vent with blow-through, because the air isn't metered until after the BOV. I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about speak to pros/cons of blowthrough.

You can get the Dejon UICP flanged for Greddy, but if you can find something that has been proven to fit correctly for cheaper, go for it. Greddy is powder coated and will fit if you get a cone filter or (maybe) hack the stock airbox. No other mods/tweaks required.

The pipes will work for a 6-bolt or 7-bolt. Not sure about a 1g or ported throttle body, though.

Ok I'm thinking about getting this a SSAC FMIC kit form this site for $245, what do you guys think? Does it look like its missing anything? What do you think of the kit? Does it look like it comes with a 1g flange or a greddy flange? Most important question is do I need anything in addition to this kit? Any additional piping or anything? Anyone have any detailed install instructions on how to do this? How difficult and time consuming is it to install a FMIC?

F.M.I.C Kits Performance Racing Products for International Sales from SSAutochrome Inc.

jsut go down till you see the 2g dsm kit.

Ok for the time being I decided to go with kenmonand suggestion (at least until I can save up for a bigger turbo then a 14b and then get a FMIC kit for SS Auto Chrome and got a uicp by dejon used from someone the the one with the greddy flange not the s-pipe yet, and am going with a type s greddy bov. Now another question, with that pipe do I still need to get a coupler for where the pipe meets the side mount inter cooler or is their one on the stock plastic one I can take off and use? Also since I'm not getting the S-pipe I am under the understanding that I can just use the stock pipe in its place will that just mount to the dejon pipe after the bov or will I need to buy a coupler. If I need any couplers does anyone know the size I would need? I have the pipe getting shipped to me so I can't measure it yet and I want to have all the parts I need ready. Lastly anyone know any local auto store that sells the gasket for the greddy type s or do I have to buy that online.

The outlet of the SMIC uses a coupler that goes inside the stock UICP. And the stock S-pipe clamps directly to the stock UICP outlet. So all you need is a coupler for the SMIC-UICP joint. The pipes are 2.25" OD. I'm not sure how long the coupler is. If you get one that's too long, you can trim it down, but it's hard to make it longer. The two hose clamps are kind of a pain to tighten. The lower one (closer to the SMIC) is not bad as long as you get the hose clamp positioned so that you can reach it with an 8mm socket and extension (use a nut driver). The upper one is harder because it is right where the pipe comes through the hole in the sheet metal and into the engine bay under the filter.

I think you can buy Greddy gaskets. You might not even need one if the flanges are relatively flat. Use a bead of RTV around the BOV hole (main one) but inside of the bolt holes. Enough to fill the gap, but not so much that it squeezes into the path of the vented air. Let it set up fully before running the car. If you can get a gasket, smear a layer of RTV on both sides. You need RTV regardless or it will probably leak boost.

I would also look into the david brode pipe. I don't remember his site, just type it in google. I had on on my car for a long time and it worked great. He also uses stainless steel so you don't get rust in the motor.

Sorry, but I really am not sure if you should use a 2.5" coupler or a 2.0" one. But it'd be a straight coupler, not 45 or 90. Try emailing Dejon and ask them what size they use. And you might also try emailing the coupler vendor and ask them what they'd recommend. Tell them that the pipes are beaded (have a "lip" around the tip so that the coupler has something to grip on when you clamp it down). The bead makes it a bit larger than 2.25", but you can still stretch many hoses/couplers (WD40 helps to lubricate the surfaces so things will slide all the way on).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back