The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Block rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2G Josh

Proven Member
Aug 23, 2014
Bloomington, Illinois
Just to start off I have been reading threads for the last three hours and cant find anything to answer my question or is too old to apply. For example I read a lot of posts talking about partsdinosaur but come to find out its no longer around.

Okay so I'm planning to rebuild my engine soon. No particular reason for it but at 170k miles I want to bring the life back to my car. Ive read many good reviews about clear water cylinder heads and at 350 bucks plus shipping I plan on buying a head from them. so that leaves the block. Is there any good and COMPLETE bottom end kits available? i read posts saying the top line kit from machv is a good aside from the oil pump and timing belt. STMDSM has kits but i don't need the crank they tag along with it. Any vendors have a complete kit??

My goals right now is only 300 whp and I know a stock build can handle a lot more but know knows I might want 500 whp a year from now. So I want the best band for my buck internals.

If not and I have to piece everything together what is all needed? Pistons, rings, rods, main bearings, and rod bearings? Ill end up getting the timing belt kit from stm and also an OEM oil pump and water pump.

And here in bloomington/normal we have one machine shop... JOPAC... I called the guy there and he qouted me 1000 bucks JUST for the maching. And that with me bringing him the block. Im not positive but that seems a little pricey to me? My mechanic has no problem pulling the motor for me and letting me take is somewhere for machining so Im not worried about finding another place...

Last edited:
Most guys piece a kit together so they get the parts they want along with the brands they want.

You may want to check with some of the vendors on here for your parts along with the head you are looking for.

There are a few tricks to building a good head for more than stock power levels that the big remans do not do, But the shops that build them all the time know.

With out a break down of what your local machine shop wants to do for a $1000, there is no way to advise you if they are on point or not.

Here again, some vendors here have short blocks from about $1400 (IIRC)
So with adding up the cost of machine work from your local shop plus the cost of parts like bearings, rings and pistons, it may be a bit more cost effective for you to just order a short block.

Here, read through this link list and you will get a better understanding on machine work and procedures.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/bogussvo-how-to-links-and-other-info.450429/#post-153125637

Boostin Performance up in Hoffman Estates offers an awesome shortblock package, which does include the machining costs in the total cost. I'd shoot them over a PM or give them a call for a quote.

Link to the short block info:
http://shop.boostinperformance.com/product-p/bp-stage3lr-dsm-short-block.htm

I picked the long rod version, as that is a stout engine combo and proven, (I'm also going to go this route). Something that you'll be able to throw anything at! Honestly, I would compare the costs of just a stock rebuild and the difference to upgrade to this, as I thought I'd be happy with "just 300-350HP" and skimped on the rods in my car. Now I regret that decision, as I have to rebuild it again so it can handle more.... reliably.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back