1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Block breather mod fitting material

Posted by willyp42, Jul 13, 2020

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. willyp42

willyp42 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Hey Everyone,
    when my car last ran i had blow by issues.
    so this time around i opted to tap the block to create a breather port, as i'm running much wider ring gaps and more boost.
    The casting is a little thin here at the tap so i am worried about fitting material selection, i know brass is softer than cast iron but i'm afraid here the thickness negates any strength advantage and brass thermal expansion might cause a fatigue failure. has anyone else here run this mod?
    should i be looking for a mild steel NPT fitting? am i just overthinking this? also what kind of epoxy should i use for this application

thanks,
    -Will

Attached Files:

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    If the block is out I would have a pipe fitting welded to that area rather than try to screw anything into it, but you already had a vent built into your block, you could do what I do and use the balance shaft check plug hole and put a fitting into it to run a vent hose to.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. willyp42

willyp42 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    i unfortunately already have the short block together,
    i thought about using the balance shaft check hole but read a forum thread where they said they were getting too much oil in the catch can from it.

-Will

4. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, UK, Europe
    i would likely run a normal aluminum fitting, its softer then the cast and it also expands and seals well and can be had a wide range of different setups from barb to AN

Road Race Build 10K  10  57

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  5. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    Weld an an fitting to the front balance shaft hole on the oil pump. Weld a tube on the back of it with holes drilled in it.

Street Build 4K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    It DOES put out some oil, the way around that I guess would be what I am going to do and run a double set of catch cans, one on the firewall with the hose going into the bottom of the can so that the oil will self drain back into the engine when the engine is off or under low pressure in the crankcase and the top hose would go up front to the top of the normal catch can, this should cut down on having to empty the cans so much.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM