The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Biss will not come out [Merged 6-7] removal stuck remove take out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dTERM

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2002
Dallas_TX
My biss will not come out. it screws out so far than stops I tried to use a flat head screwdriver to slide down under the head to pull/pry it up and it didn't work any suggestions?

I'm trying to get it out to put a new o ring on.

The screw probably isn't stripped.

When fully screwed out of the thread, the screw will still be in the hole and hard to remove. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver wedged into the head, or some poster-hanging adhesive goo to pull it out.

You may also have success with a small parts-fishing magnet, if you have one.

we had a problem like taht on my cousins 92 talon, we needed to get the biss screw out of an old throttle body to put in the new one. after u have unscrewed it all the way, we took off the tb elbow, and but a hanger on the other end of the biss screw and as i unscrewed it, he pushed with an hanger, that is somethign we did, to get the screw out.

I had the exact same problem with mine.I tried gluing a screwdriver bit to the head,didn't work.I tried gum,didn't work.Just pull the TB off and poke it out from the inside,using a coat hanger.Later

Well i finally got it out. I just took a small flat head and forced it out. It ended up braking on my so i went to a dealer and I am getting a new screw and 0-ring for 6 dollars. thanks for the advice.

I was trying to check the o-ring on the BISS because i have crappy idle. Anyways, I tried unscrewing it and it was unscrewing fine until the end, i can't get a grip on it, it's still in the hole but it's like, out of threading. What should i do? and shouldn't the BISS come out to the point where i can grab it?

What kind of crappy idle do you have... too high, too low, changes by itself??? Explain!

Originally posted by laserblue
What kind of crappy idle do you have... too high, too low, changes by itself??? Explain!

Sometimes it's perfect at 750, but it will be rough. Most of the time it deeps down too low, about 600 and starts rough, and then will go back up to norm. It's annoying =(

did you get it out?

just chew a piece of gum and press it ontop of the screw. it should pull right out.

Did you get the o-ring out? Probably it's not the problem but you should take a look at it anyway. Adjusting the BISS is just putting a Band-Aid over the problem. There are many things that cause the idle to become unstable.... too many to list here. Read some posts about idle problems and you'll see what I mean!!!
See if you can narrow down what area is at fault and write back.

when and if you go to the dealer for a new BISS, make sure you get the o-ring too. they'll get you the BISS without the o-ring, cause they don't know any better. hell, i even had to show the parts guy what the BISS was

Well I'm really curious to see if the problem is the o-ring on the BISS is either deteriorated, or it's missing. I actually bought the car a month ago, and I noticed the BISS doesn't have a cap over it, so i'm going to check it just to rule out something this stupid. Thanks for the help..

I had to pop the BISS out from inside the Throttle Body using a coat hanger,but carefully:p Check your ISC Motor.I did the BISS,EGR blockoff and other things and it ran like crap till I pulled the ISC motor off the TB and tested it with an ohm-meter and realized it was fried so I bought a new one.Now it idles great.Good luck:thumb:

Originally posted by Rhino
I had to pop the BISS out from inside the Throttle Body using a coat hanger,but carefully:p Check your ISC Motor.I did the BISS,EGR blockoff and other things and it ran like crap till I pulled the ISC motor off the TB and tested it with an ohm-meter and realized it was fried so I bought a new one.Now it idles great.Good luck:thumb:

Really? hmm could you explain exactly what your idle was doing in detail? Thanks a lot.

Just my experience....... When my idle control motor went bad, the rpms were high all the time. I adjusted the BISS to lower it a little. Then I noticed that if I turn on the A/C, the idle would drop almost to stall out.
Here's what that idle motor does. It moves a 'plunger' thing that controls how much air it will allow to bypass the throttle plate. When the engine is under stress [such as with the A/C on] the motor moves the 'plunger back a bit to allow more air in, thus keeping the idle up. If the motor is bad, or the 'plunger' assy is sticky or binding or dirty or whatever, this 'automatic' idle speed adjust doesn't happen. Sometimes the motor works intermittently so the damn little plunger moves only once in a while and makes the idle go all over the place!!!
I found [using a meter] that one of the motor's coils was open [supposed to read about 30 ohms if good].
The CEL should light to warn you that something is up!

Just my experience....... When my idle control motor went bad, the rpms were high all the time. I adjusted the BISS to lower it a little. Then I noticed that if I turn on the A/C, the idle would drop almost to stall out.
Here's what that idle motor does. It moves a 'plunger' thing that controls how much air it will allow to bypass the throttle plate. When the engine is under stress [such as with the A/C on] the motor moves the 'plunger back a bit to allow more air in, thus keeping the idle up. If the motor is bad, or the 'plunger' assy is sticky or binding or dirty or whatever, this 'automatic' idle speed adjust doesn't happen. Sometimes the motor works intermittently so the damn little plunger moves only once in a while and makes the idle go all over the place!!!
I found [using a meter] that one of the motor's coils was open [supposed to read about 30 ohms if good].
The CEL should light to warn you that something is up!

Well I don't have a CEL.. does this rule out the ISC motor being bad?

You know, I can't remember if my CEL was on!!!! ... Brain cell problems!! I don't think is was on. Oh, well. Do you have the ability to use an ohmmeter to check the motor out? Different years use different motors so I can't give you exact instructions on how to measure the coil resistance.
Just for reference: My motor has a connector with 6 pins. Let's call them 1,2,3,4,5&6. Measuring between 1&2 should read ~30 ohms... between 2&3 --> 30 ohms. And between 1&3 should therefore be 60 ohms [30+30]. The same goes for pins 4,5,&6. When mine was faulty 5&6 read infinity!!! Oops, that's bad! Get the drift on how to test it?
Your year may have more [or less] coils or pins. I just don't know.
Good luck.
I did bother me a bit when you said that the engine runs rough. I don't know if that's because of a low idle condition or if there is something else flaky in there!!!!!
Keep me posted!!

You know, I can't remember if my CEL was on!!!! ... Brain cell problems!! I don't think is was on. Oh, well. Do you have the ability to use an ohmmeter to check the motor out? Different years use different motors so I can't give you exact instructions on how to measure the coil resistance.
Just for reference: My motor has a connector with 6 pins. Let's call them 1,2,3,4,5&6. Measuring between 1&2 should read ~30 ohms... between 2&3 --> 30 ohms. And between 1&3 should therefore be 60 ohms [30+30]. The same goes for pins 4,5,&6. When mine was faulty 5&6 read infinity!!! Oops, that's bad! Get the drift on how to test it?
Your year may have more [or less] coils or pins. I just don't know.
Good luck.
I did bother me a bit when you said that the engine runs rough. I don't know if that's because of a low idle condition or if there is something else flaky in there!!!!!
Keep me posted!!

It runs rough at idle sometimes because of my idle problem.. other than that, the car runs perfect. I'll have to borrow a friends ohmmeter and check it out.. thanks again.

I tried unscrewing my biss screw all the way out to look for an O ring but it wouldnt come all the way out it just kept turning and not moving when it got to the very top. ne ideas?

After reading this i just went and changed mine, just cause. I tried a magnet and a small flat head screwdriver that didnt work. I screwed it out as far as i could and grabbed it with some needle nose plyers. good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back