The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Biss will not come out [Merged 6-7] removal stuck remove take out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dTERM

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2002
Dallas_TX
My biss will not come out. it screws out so far than stops I tried to use a flat head screwdriver to slide down under the head to pull/pry it up and it didn't work any suggestions?

I'm trying to get it out to put a new o ring on.

I had to use a paper clip and a flat head screw driver. When I had the edge of the screw driver and the paper clip wedged into 2 spots in the screw I just poped it straight out. It will take a couple times of getting it to pop out, but it will come. I never tried the magnet trick, but I suppose it will work.

Easy…. use a pencil, screw driver or something similar and attach a piece of gum or other adhesive to the end of it. It will allow you to turn and pull on the biss at the same time.
Seriously, it works……..

just take a piece of duct tape and push it down in there and pull up. it will take a few times but it will come out. that is how i got mine out.

I'm having a hard time getting the BISS screw out of the TB so I can check the O-ring..I can back it out as far as it can (til it won't turn out anymore) and it won't come out..I also just tried using one of those maget things on a skinny rod to get it out,still won't work...any ideas???

Thanks guys:dsm:

You can get it to come out using a small flat-head screwdriver; jam the head at an angle into the slots in the head of the BISS.

If this doesn't work, get some of that goo that you use for hanging posters (I don't know what it's called here; back home it was called Blu Tack), put some on the head of your Philips head screwdriver and use that to pull it out. Almost anything soft and sticky will work; I've seen gum used before.

makes sense....fun-tak is what its called here i believe. Ill give the gum thing a try tomarrow or the next cause tomarrow there might be another 3-6 inches of snow!!!

just use a flat head screwdrive and pop it out. it will eventually come out

Well that would be easy,except that the screw doesn't turn out past the cylindrical housing it goes into..it's about 1/8" down..and there's no way it's stripped..But I'll try anything twice..Thanks alot:dsm:

none of them come all the way out. If you can't wedge a flat head screwdriver into what is left of the head of it, then get a ice pick or something with a very sharp metal point and stab it into the screw and pry it up. It may take a couple tries but it will come out

Don't stab *anything* into the head of the screw; you'll rip the threads out of the hole. Use something sticky.

I should have mentioned, when you have the goo on the head of the screwdriver, turn the screw as you pull it out. The dynamic friction coefficient is lower than that static one, and roatating the screw doesn't stress the stickiness.

This is why you twist stuff back and forth as you pull it out; same thing applies here.

Thanks guys but I got sick of messing around with it and I took the TB off tonight..I have the ISC off(will be replaced),BISS O-Ring will be replaced,ISC O-Ring will be replaced,cleaning the TB thoroughly,redoing my EGR blockoff w/ 1/8" steel,O2 sensor..Hopefully when it all goes back on the problem should be cured..OH! and by the way,I would NEVER think of stabbing something into my TB or any other part of my car for that matter..What I did was took the 5 minutes to get the TB off,brought it inside my house,set it down on my kitchen table (my mom's gonna kick my ass),and stuck a coat hanger through from the inside of the TB and poked it out..and voila:thumb:

I didn't mean to stab anything into the threads or the Tb. Obviously this would have horrible affects. All you would have had to do is use some sideways pressure at a angle and with a flick of the wrist you could have popped the BISS out. I have done this many times and had no problems at all. Also you mention blocking off the egr, why not go all the way and do a block off plate on the fiav too while you are at it. Because chances are, you are going to ruin it anyway doing your thorough cleaning. Also some more info for you, your "new" isc will come with a "new" o'ring.

Yea I tried that little flick thing before I went ahead and pulled the TB off but no luck..It was actually kinda stuck in there even when I pushed it from behind..The ISC I'll be getting won't necessarily be brand new,but definitly one with good value to it..first of all,what is a FIAV and how would I ruin it when I clean the TB?
Thanks man,I appreciate it:thumb:

Where exactly is the Biss...i know on the throttle body but like, does anyone have a pic? i think my o ring might be missing LOL my freggin car wont start!

Originally posted by Rhino
Yea I tried that little flick thing before I went ahead and pulled the TB off but no luck..It was actually kinda stuck in there even when I pushed it from behind..The ISC I'll be getting won't necessarily be brand new,but definitly one with good value to it..first of all,what is a FIAV and how would I ruin it when I clean the TB?
Thanks man,I appreciate it:thumb:

You can get to the FIAV by seperating the TB into the lower and upper half. Most people when cleaning the TB will not know to put duct tape over the slits in he bottom of the TB inlet where the butterfly meets the bottom. Thus letting carb ceaner or other cleaning substances to drain down into the fiav. The cleaner then eats away at the wax plenum and will cause idle surge. A lot of people will talk about changing the isc, changing the biss and o'ring and making sure their coolant level is full but they still have idle surge. Most of this comes from a damaged wax plenum. Here is a link to show you how to do a fiav block off. The choice is yours if you want to do it or not.http://www.vallotton.com/fiavblockoff.asp

Also if you are replacing your BISS and O' ring, make sure to get a metal biss, not a nylon one. The ones made out of nylon will wear out and strip a lot quicker than the metal ones.

Originally posted by Hooah
Where exactly is the Biss...i know on the throttle body but like, does anyone have a pic? i think my o ring might be missing LOL my freggin car wont start!
here

Attachments

• machv_1727_8628440.jpg
    machv_1727_8628440.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,211
to the top so that Rhino doesn't miss the link I added here for FIAV block off.

Well I was in the process of taking my BISS screw out and realized it was stripped. The screw is all the way unscrewed but is stuck in there. It the screw wont turn anymore, I tried using some putty substance but that wouldnt take it out??? Once again I am stumped. Another problem I have is it sounds like my throttle body is leaking all kinds of air. Is this because my biss screw is all the way out?? Any help is appreciated. thx

pressureize your intake to 30psi.. it'll shoot out like a missle (kidding :laugh: )

The leak is most likely from the BISS being too far out. Use TTTSi's advice to get it out then pick up a new one from MachV or other DSM vendor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back