1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Better bulbs for Headlights

Posted by TunedUp, Feb 20, 2017

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. TunedUp

TunedUp Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Panama CIty, Florida
    Okay so I see a lot of questions on how to retrofit or convert over to projectors or HID, but that isn't what I want to do. I want to keep my oem headlight exactly how it is but I can barely see with the lights that are in it. Is there any specific bulbs that can help with this, or do i HAVE to switch the headlight setup to get actual visibility out of them? Thank you in advance for any help!

Street Build 929  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. Dsmkauai

Dsmkauai Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    I got some nice (Could have sworn they are 6000k but it's been a few years since I got them), 4100k lights for my gvr4 and still use the stock lights and bulbs. And not sure the fog lights bulbs they are 6000k h1 bulbs. Super bright compared to the stock bulb. I believe they are Sylvania silver star ultras. I have them for my regular/high beams. Best thing next to hid if you ask me. They also have zxe's but not sure the k rating on those.
    http://www.brandsport.com/piaa-19626.html

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

Drag Race Build 552  2

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

6K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    13.7 @ 101 · Galant VR-4

3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.408 @ 112.930 · 2G DSM

2K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
    gst-turbo likes this.
  3. gst-turbo

gst-turbo Proven Member

Joined Nov 7, 2012
    Petaluma, California
    I also have some 6000k hid lights in white and 10000k in blue for the high beams. Just need to adjust them properly so you don't blinde people

gst-turbo

Street Build 818  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    000.0 whp · 000.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  4. Teezy

Teezy Proven Member

Joined Nov 23, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Don't run hid's in our halogen housing, looks like crap. Look into silverstar ultras or zxe. :thumb:

SAKJR likes this.
  5. TunedUp

TunedUp Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Panama CIty, Florida
    Thank you for the replies! These are the answers I was looking for, because I definitely want to stay away from HID's at all cost unless I had to use them. So for using the Ultras or ZXE's do you just get one bright set or do you buy a high beam bulb and a low beam bulb. Also, what is a good lumen number to go with for low beams and for high beams?

Street Build 929  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Don't be surprised when the Ultra or zxe life is 1/3 of the normal bulb - even shows it on the box. They're brighter but I finally gave up on them replacing them every 4-6 months. I now use just the normal Silverstar or xtravision (can't remember) and it's been going for years.

2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
    SAKJR likes this.
  7. TunedUp

TunedUp Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Panama CIty, Florida
    I just really need something brighter than stock because I can't even see a cat on my street that's 10ft in front of me it is really bad.

Street Build 929  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Yep DSM stock lights and reflector housings are terrible. I put normal Silverstar or xtravision in the lows and 100w bulbs in the highs to get around this. Even with all that I don't have the light my wife's 2003 Corolla with stock headlights/bulbs has.

2K  0

14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  9. Zero6391

Zero6391 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2014
    Roswell, New Mexico

Showcar Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
    cudadrt likes this.
  10. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    Why don't u want to switch to HID's? Not hard to do or too much cutting of any kind. I have 6000k in my dsm. I also wrapped my headlight in headlight film to give it a smoked look. I get good not great visibility but it works for me.

You can buy brighter bulbs but won't last long like mentioned. I paid like 30 bucks a set for these HID's from eBay and they've been going strong for 5+ years.

Street Build 653  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Drag Race Build 4K  10

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  11. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Please retrofit your headlights. And if you cannot afford the $300 to do so then look into trimming an HIR bulb so that it fits in the 9006 socket.

Putting HID in the stock housing is awful. There is not such a thing as "aiming them right."

-Detail

383  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

771  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.000 @ 109.000 · 2G DSM
    Tanro likes this.
  12. 94awdcoupe

94awdcoupe Proven Member

Joined Nov 6, 2004
    tampa, Florida
    I had horrible stock lights in the evo1.
    35W HID drop ins. sucked. reflectors just not designed for HID. HID needs projectors.
    $50 PIAA bulbs worked and were big improvement. (better than Sylvanias best)
    $30 LED ebay bulbs huge improvement. nice white light. LED are positioned similar to original halogen elements so light pattern isnt half bad. had to re-aim lights but output is remarkably strong. i got the bulbs without little fan. heat sinks are stainless strips.

Street Build 3K  0

1994 eagle summit wagon JDM RVR swap
    automatic · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 3K  0

manual · 4G63t Swapped
  13. 2k11evo

2k11evo Probationary Member

Joined May 5, 2015
    Beaumont, Texas
    Silver stars in everything I drive. They tend to last .
    Set in my f250 has to be 5 years old now.

14. Nathan1993

Nathan1993 Proven Member

Joined Dec 26, 2016
    Weyauwega, Wisconsin
    I got cheap kensun HID bulbs in my car from Amazon and I would say for $40 they are worth it.

Street Build 538  3

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  15. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2009
    Canton, Michigan
    $40 LEDs off of amazon, Have to find a way to use the cap to retain them, but they are quite bright. We will see how they do at night.

16. raptoranderson

raptoranderson Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2015
    East Lansing, Michigan
    +1 doubleclutch ^

I bought a set of Oracle LEDs off CarID for $150 or so which is kinda steep, I know. But you can get them to fit completely inside the headlight assembly so that you don't have to worry about removing the protective cap over the back of the headlights or drilling holes in the headlight and you also won't have a nest of wires around the back of your headlights. Just plug and play :D plus they are super bright and look clean rather than that overly-bright blue tint you get from HIDs

If you do end up going with LEDs (and I strongly suggest that you do because HIDs burn out far quicker and LEDs light-up the road far better) let me know if you need more detail on installing them. I just did mine this past weekend :thumb:

Street Build 3K  10

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 852  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  17. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If you are putting bulbs other than halogens in halogen headlights, you don't deserve to drive at night.

signed every one with aggravated migraines...

If you want HIDS you gotta pay to play. Hell Mini H1 projectors are only about 40$ now. Back when I did my first retro you were paying 300-500$ just for a set of low beams. Mini H1 and a set of cheap HIDS will get you both for less than 100$.

Street Build 2K  10

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Detail likes this.
  18. 94awdcoupe

94awdcoupe Proven Member

Joined Nov 6, 2004
    tampa, Florida
    I have like 20 late model headlights here and plenty of old ones.. mostly LED. but some halogen some HID. i have done an enormous amount of HID bulb and H4 led bulb swapping in different housings and projectors. I am building custom headlights for four vehicles and wanted to explore all the possibilities. some headlights respond quite well to bulb upgrades they werent designed for.

Street Build 3K  0

Street Build 3K  0

manual · 4G63t Swapped
  19. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    What do the guys like me do for brighter bulbs or, really what I want is a set of headlights that don't draw so much on the charging system for more voltage to the motor but still allow me to see good. I don't think they make a LED bulb but if someone knows of one, please, do tell!!!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

258  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

362  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 517  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  20. 94awdcoupe

94awdcoupe Proven Member

Joined Nov 6, 2004
    tampa, Florida
    there are likely 30 different LED bulbs you could try. best bet is to find someone who has the same lights as you and did an upgrade with the same parameters as you and then they were happy with results. then copy.

Street Build 3K  0

Street Build 3K  0

manual · 4G63t Swapped
  21. MindBlowin03

MindBlowin03 Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2002
    Peckville, Pennsylvania
    ZXE in my Talon. As stated the life expectancy is short but since I don't drive it much that doesn't bother me. The results are excellent though.

2K  5

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  9

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    565 whp · 524 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  22. 4Lurker4

4Lurker4 Proven Member

Joined Jan 11, 2009
    Brampton, ON, Canada
    For those who went the LED route; which ones would best compliment with an HID retrofit? (i.e., shroud and projector, just not the HID component, LED instead). I know they have some pretty decent Wattage LEDs and really wondering how they'd perform in a projector.

1K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  23. raptoranderson

raptoranderson Proven Member

Joined Sep 24, 2015
    East Lansing, Michigan
    The LED bulbs are significantly brighter all around and last longer than HID bulbs. Now that there are LEDs that are reliable and at an affordable price, I can see no reason that anyone should be using HIDs.

I've seen people test the differences between HIDs and LEDs and even measured the distance the light travels and what intensities the light reaches at given distances and across the board LEDs shine light further than HIDs.

HIDs also seem to have more of a 'glaring' effect which drivers hate because it blinds them, whereas LEDs are simply brighter. This is because HIDs focus light on a smaller area which makes them appear brighter whereas LEDs disperse the light very well in more of a 'spray and pray' approach ROFL

You would have to match your style and type of bulb to that of an HID to get it to mount up properly and the LEDs don't have to be vehicle specific to work. But LEDs are definitely better in my opinion and a lot of car manufacturers are making them standard usage on their cars :thumb:

Street Build 3K  10

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 852  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM