The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Best wg option for my setup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
Is the 38mm mvs vband/ o2 dump combo a good option for me to run on a evo 3 16g @27psi?I checked the psi chart and the wg tops out at 24 psi.Also whats the max psi a evo 3 16g can handle for boost, and what the wg actuator can handle?

Supporting mods:

Apexi N1 Exhaust, Punishment Racing Downpipe, 250 Walbro Fuel Pump, FIC 1100cc Injectors, Ported EVO III 16g, Ported FP Exhaust Manifold, Injen air intake, GReddy Type-FV Blow-Off Valve Limited Edition Charcoal /Red, GodSpeed FMIC version 2, HKS turbo timer,

AEM EMS Version 2, AEM UEGO A/F Ration Gauge, AEM 35psi Boost Gauge, AEM Oil Pressure Gauge,

From what I've seen using an external wastegate off the O2 helps stabilize and control boost better than an internal wastegate (when I was using a 20g anyway). The spring in the external wastegate can be swapped if you want to hold more/less boost also.

You may have noticed that the internal wg flapper tends to blow open at/around peak boost (especially w/ the larger 34mm flapper) which will drop/tapper down your overall boost pressure during a pull, whereas the ext setup will hold the pressure solid throughout. There are folks that run outstanding times with their setups even with the boost dropping (30+psi and falling during their run). I'd get a solid tune on your setup first and see how you like it before spending the $500+ to make the swap though. Has your exhaust housing been ported?

That spring combo would be the minimum boost you could run not max. Normally you can double the spring rating.

Boom! The spring info when buying the waste gate is for the minimum rating. As far as "double the spring rating" I know Im almost running 3x the spring rating in my car. 10lb springs in both of my 38mm's and 27 psi with my Hallman boost controller.

Crash is right. Until you start getting erratic behavior, you can keep pushing the boost up with a good controller. Since you have EMS, just get a mac solenoid and run it with EMS controlling. 38mm external should be plenty to control your 16g. Keep an eye on your IAT's to see at what boost level you start blowing hot air (no more efficiency gains).

I had just got it tuned last week and it ran fine. But now whenever i do a 2nd or 3rd gear pull right when it hits 25-27 psi the car jerks back crazy fast so i'm assuming it needs a new wg???Also i'm running a stock 2g o2 housing and it has not been ported.Also when the guy was tuneing my car there was a rubber spacer in the air intake and it got sucked into my 16g and i literally pulled out 2 3" pieces of rubber out of my turbo which now has 1 bent fin, also i had found a ton of rubber in the fmic.

But to stay on topic, i would be fine with the 38mm mvs w/ o2 dump then?

It sounds like you've checked, but were you able to go through everything on the hot/cold side and exhaust to make sure there's nothing else? Any idea if it went into your motor, or where it came from? Porting the turbos hotside (if it wasn't already done) and O2 housing , or getting a larger one may help. I'm just not sold on the ext WG being the fix just yet:hmm:.

It sounds like you've checked, but were you able to go through everything on the hot/cold side and exhaust to make sure there's nothing else? Any idea if it went into your motor, or where it came from? Porting the turbos hotside (if it wasn't already done) and O2 housing , or getting a larger one may help. I'm just not sold on the ext WG being the fix just yet.

I checked up to the fmic core and when i took the coupler off a lot of little pieces fell out so i'm asumong they never made it into the core, also there's no way it could have made it into the motor bc it came in the side of the turbo connected to the air intake, but yea the kid i bought the car from had a too big of a coupler on the air intake to turbo so he used a piece of rubber as a spacer to slide the coupler onto the intake pipe.Hot side is already ported, and i was going to buy a o2 dump anyways so i figured why not just buy a ext wg as well?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back