The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best way to pull an engine????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phastalon

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2002
Knoxville, Tennessee
Here's my situation. I've got a garage that is separate from the house and it is pretty heavy duty. It's got steel beams holding up the roof that run side to side when facing the garage. The beams are probably about 9 ft high (I can touch them without jumping) and are super strong. I was thinking of buying an electric winch and mounting it to a steel beam, but putting rollers on it so I can slide it from one side to the other. I found a winch that was capable of 880 lbs for about $100 and can get the rollers for about $50. I also have found a folding cherry picker for $150 as well. As far as space goes, the winch would be best, but is 880 lb capacity enough to pull a dsm engine/tranny? Also, I'll be moving in the next couple of years and I may or may not have a place to mount the winch, so that is a factor as well.

you don't know anybody that has a cherry picker that you could borrow, or know anybody that knows anybody....I know in my area there are places that you can even rent them. Do you plan on doing engine swaps often? didn't think so...why waste all that money on buyin something you'll use once. Throw somebody 20 bills and borrow theirs.

I'd consider looking at dropping the ENTIRE Tranny & Engine Assembly DOWN if I were you by lifting the body UP via those Beams.

I bought a cherry picker! It works wonders! With the cherry picker your able to move it around when your pulling your motor out!

I've used a cherry picker to take my engine in and out three times now and I love it.

turbolaserAWDrs said:
Do you plan on doing engine swaps often? didn't think so...why waste all that money on buyin something you'll use once. Throw somebody 20 bills and borrow theirs.

The way my luck is, I'll have it paid for in about a year. I hate borrowing other peoples tools too, I really hate when I let someone borrow mine, so I took that into consideration as well.

As far as being able to move the cherry picker, that is a nice feature too.

Lifting the car up and down would be nice, but I'd rather not take that chance. I'll be moving in a couple of years anyways and am unsure as to the structural rigidity of my future garage.

I'm leaning towards the cherry picker now, but any more suggestions are more than welcome.

phastalon said:
The way my luck is, I'll have it paid for in about a year. I hate borrowing other peoples tools too, I really hate when I let someone borrow mine, so I took that into consideration as well.

As far as being able to move the cherry picker, that is a nice feature too.

Lifting the car up and down would be nice, but I'd rather not take that chance. I'll be moving in a couple of years anyways and am unsure as to the structural rigidity of my future garage.

I'm leaning towards the cherry picker now, but any more suggestions are more than welcome.

I use a cherry picker for putting engines in and out, and it works just fine. It'd be even better if my garage didn't have a stone floor. So now my DSM is hanging out of the garage so I can put the tranny back in easier using the cherry picker. But the other method seems really neat :p.

Wench is unneccessary. Cherry picker has been Tried and proven. Stick with what works, Cherry pickers are so freekin cheep. I wana get a lift put in my driveway. so I can do work on it easy, There like 2grand!!!!! f-ing cheep if you ask me.

I disconnected the engine and lifted the car off of it. I put the new enigne in from the bottom and then hooked it up to a cherry picker to make it easy to line up. Worked great and went smooth.
J

DSMJim said:
The beams are 9ft high and you can touch them without jumping? Just how tall are you exactly?

word, you must be a monster... if you can touch a 9ft high beam without jumping, how the hell do you fit in a DSM? :dsm:

JiveMasterT said:
word, you must be a monster... if you can touch a 9ft high beam without jumping, how the hell do you fit in a DSM? :dsm:

Sorry, the top of the beams are at 9ft. The bottoms are closer to about 8ft. I'm only 6'2 :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back