The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Battery Backwards..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magrud3r

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2010
Lonaconing, Maryland
Hi all I recently purchased a 99 GSX and before I could pick her up I needed a new battery, no biggie. So I picked up a redtop and when I went to over to the car after a 3 hour or so drive the owner already had removed the dead battery. I didn't get a chance to see how it was in there previously and he puts it in, backwards... and kills the brand new battery. So we ride down to the store and they replace it okay. Now we put it in correctly and the car fires right up. He had me start the car up a good 6-8 times to be sure it was all working correctly. It started raining hard and I was about to take the car home when I noticed the power windows didn't work and the defroster wasn't either (windows were fogging up bad). The alarm also kept randomly going off and wouldn't stop until the battery terminal was removed.. the horn fuse was not blown though. So we made about 3 trips in the car and on the final trip at a stop light the car dropped RPMs very low and seemed to be dying out and eventually the 2nd brand new battery was drained. After checking the fuses for the windows and A/C neither were blown.

My question is what could this be? Just a few shorted wires..? I am going to have the work done at a Mitsubishi dealership and don't want to get completely raped on the work needing done.

Might not just be the ALT fuse.

The ALT may have been bad from the get go.

Also, why are you taking your car to the Stealership to get a charging issue fixed?

I will check the fuse when I can, I don't have the car at my house right now. God this is dumb as hell the car was mint and he went and did this... :banghead:

I wanted to take it to a Mitsu dealer so they could get the right parts last time I took my evo to a guy who does imports and he didn't even finish the car... I just want my car running so I can fix the things this guy did wrong. I don't have the cash for this yet though so how much am I looking at saving ?

Edit: What would it mean if the fuse is blown? This may be the only issue... or ?

Anyone else have any ideas or at least any advice on what I could do? If I don't come up with something soon I may just sell the car or part some things out..

Might need a new ecm. Could have gotten lucky. OP, make sure you check every single fuse both underneath the hood and under the dash. You may get lucky and just a popped fuse or two, although I would still get some money back from the dude you got it from for being a damned moron :)

Well yes he was ignorant mechanical wise, good guy overall he helped with the towing of the car, and even offered me a full refund when most would of said "good luck". Overall he dumped lots of money into the car but really didn't know how to do anything himself.

That being said the alternator fuse was indeed blown, replaced it and she started right up :) I was hearing belt squeak most of the way home when accelerating only.. I assumed it was the alternator belt, however it did not do this yesterday. The belt is squeaking on start up for a brief 2 seconds maybe, I could upload a video if it's needed/wanted but I'm not sure if this is something temporary or that should be fixed? Thanks all for your current input without you guys I might not have my car right now!

Well yes he was ignorant mechanical wise, good guy overall he helped with the towing of the car, and even offered me a full refund when most would of said "good luck". Overall he dumped lots of money into the car but really didn't know how to do anything himself.

That being said the alternator fuse was indeed blown, replaced it and she started right up :) I was hearing belt squeak most of the way home when accelerating only.. I assumed it was the alternator belt, however it did not do this yesterday. The belt is squeaking on start up for a brief 2 seconds maybe, I could upload a video if it's needed/wanted but I'm not sure if this is something temporary or that should be fixed? Thanks all for your current input without you guys I might not have my car right now!

Whenever water gets on my belt it squeaks, but i used to have a problem with the old alt which had bad bearings. It would squeak really bad and have trouble keeping the voltage up. I replaced it with an autozone galant alt that works boss and no more squeaks (unless circumstance occur i.e. water like previously stated)

Yeah it sleeps in a garage so the possibility of it being water is highly unlikely, but it seems with each start up the squeak lessens, so I will probably just see how it is in a week or two before I go replacing things.

I still don't even have tags yet, need to get it inspected (maryland sucks). Can't wait to get her on the road..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back