The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G battery installed backwards!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2004
northern, New_Jersey
to get straight to the point..someone wasnt paying attention when putting my battery in and put it in backwards...after switching it around the car starts and the parking lights work...but if i put on low beams, the horn goes off..the windows dont roll up or down, my top wont budge, and the ac doesnt work!!! i checked all the fuses...is this a relay prob? and if so..would it be all of these that need replacing?:confused: :cry:

hey guys!! just reporting back and everything works again!!! thanx alot for all the help!!

Cool :) Glad we could help. And glad it was a simple problem. Looks like that fuse did its job -- as the previous poster mentioned, that's what fuses are there for :D

hey, if the battery was hooked up backwards, could this cause the car to not turn over? because the first time this happened, it blew the ecu, and i got another one, but this time the ecu is fine, and the car cranks but it doesn't turn over. so does anyone have any speculation on this? thanks.

geddytrams said:
hey, if the battery was hooked up backwards, could this cause the car to not turn over? because the first time this happened, it blew the ecu, and i got another one, but this time the ecu is fine, and the car cranks but it doesn't turn over. so does anyone have any speculation on this? thanks.

Sounds like you're dealing with a different issue. 99.9% of the time, when the battery is grounded, that 80A alternator fuse (100A in 2g :thumb:) will blow. If this happens, the car will still turn over and run, but will not have any accessories, as it will be running on battery only. Probably won't run for very long, either.....

Not sure how grounding a battery could blow an ECU, either WTF . That's strange - i've never heard of that. Might want to check for loose grounds throughout the car.
If you're not starting, best to isolate fuel or spark first, to get that out of the way.

Any more info on how this happened could be helpful :p

Yeah, I've never heard of reversed contacts on a battery blowing out and ECU, either. Are you sure the ECU you got is good? Is it a turbo? If so, does the boost gauge needle go to zero when you turn the ignition on?

ECU's can be damaged by static voltage from your fingers touching it.... if the battery gets connected backwards its VERY possible to destroy the ecu

well the ecu wasn't the problem in this case. it turns over but doesn't start, which is what bothers me. i think it might have something to do with the ignition coils maybe, and so i'm going to check them to see if they are blown. does anyone know a good way to check the coils? i'll let you know if the boost guage goes to zero as well.

Well Im gonna try to bring this one back from the dead because I had the same problems.
My battery got installed wrong and the alternator fuse went. I replaced it and got my power locks back, but now my mirrors, windows and brake lights do not work.

So I am wondering what other components would be the first to go when the polarity is reversed?

All my relays and fuses check out ok. My window switch and brake switch work.

What next?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back