The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Balance shaft tensioner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGen

Probationary Member
May 30, 2011
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
Now I'm nearly complete with my dsm, only thing is I am not to sure about the tensioner for the balance shaft. When this thing has tension applied and the bolt is tightened down and the belt on correctly, should you be able to move the tensioner with your hand? Like should it be able to spin? Or is it supposed to be tight so you can only see it spin while your turning the crank?? It spins fine with the bolt loose, but when I push it upwards to apply tension and tighten the bolt it doesnt spin with my fingers. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 2012-12-01 17.28.38.jpg
    2012-12-01 17.28.38.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 364
It's tight up against the belt. Think about it for a minute. No it should not move. It should turn freely when you rotate the belt.

Ah I see. Ok. I was just afraid that it was too tight and would burn the balance shaft belt with the engine on but now I see what you mean. Thanks pauley.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back